Marantz CD80 heat and light(s) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2005, 02:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Marantz CD80 heat and light(s)

Hiya,
I have a cd80 i that bought new in 1993. it is a fantastic player, one i would not be keen on replacing. My cd80 runs pretty hot thouhg, the heatsink runs hot (as it always has) but the cds often come out of the drawer very warm after playback - is this normal? the machine behaves well in all other rspects. I am concerned as i have just placed damping sheets onto the inner chassis, case and ICs, and wondered if this was the cause.

One of the lights above above the cd drawer that create the blue glow (is this the same as the green/blue lights that others (Krell, YBA) bathe the laser in?) has failed - are these common devices?

Finally does anyone have a schematic or know where i could find one?

thanx
Old 9th February 2005, 06:41 PM   #2
renes3 is offline renes3  Zimbabwe
diyAudio Member

My cd80 runs does not get very hot during operation. It just get's a little bit warm. Better not stick damping material on your ic's.
It is better to shield them with copper! The 7220 that is inside your player is known to run hot, but you have to make sure that it can 'lose' it's heat.

René

p.s. the shielding will give great results
Old 9th February 2005, 09:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info rene, that damping stuff is coming out! But how are you shielding the ICs without shorting the pins and still allowing them to dissapate heat?
Old 11th February 2005, 12:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can use thin sheets of copper to attach to the ic's, or buy copper tape. This is much easier to use. You have to have real skills to make copper "cases" to shield lets say an 1541.

If you really want do dampen the case of the cd-80 you have to give the main transformer it's own casing with added mains- filter to get maximum results. I am planning to do this mod myself.

Greetz
Old 14th February 2005, 01:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One of the lights above above the cd drawer that create the blue glow (is this the same as the green/blue lights that others (Krell, YBA) bathe the laser in?) has failed - are these common devices?
Quite common, I took one as an example to the electronics shop. Tell them itīs 12 V, no problem.

I got a CD 80 second hand some months ago, and exchanged the lights for three blue LEDīs (with resistors..) Now THIS was getting hot frying my CDīs worried me too. Now with two small bulbs itīs not too much, but still hot IMO. Maybe Iīll just tear all the lighting out next time I open it up..

Putting damping sheet inside the case astonished me quite a lot, more improvement than I had thought!
Old 14th February 2005, 04:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I must say my CD80 always ran warmish from new, the heatsink at least i always remember as running hot, but i do live in South Africa where it is pretty hot a lot of the time - but it has survived 12 years so far! I took the damping off the DAC and other large chips but left it on the opamps, in fact i placed the removed material on the coupling caps, can't say i heard a difference though.
Old 14th February 2005, 05:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Miniwatt

Quite common, I took one as an example to the electronics shop. Tell them itīs 12 V, no problem.

I got a CD 80 second hand some months ago, and exchanged the lights for three blue LEDīs (with resistors..) Now THIS was getting hot frying my CDīs worried me too. Now with two small bulbs itīs not too much, but still hot IMO. Maybe Iīll just tear all the lighting out next time I open it up..

Putting damping sheet inside the case astonished me quite a lot, more improvement than I had thought!
There should not be much heat build up with standard LEDs. Blue ones can run a bit cooler with lower current. As a bonus LEDs practically never fail. Don't leave out the lights, it sounds better with the lights on
Old 14th February 2005, 09:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Does anyone know what "Ken" was thinking when he designed this cd player??

HMMM let me think, lets put in some blue lights!

Japanese marketing?

Who knows?
Old 15th February 2005, 08:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well green lights bathing the UNDERSIDE of the cd are supposed to improve the lasers read rate(?) via a phenomonon (scuse the spelling) called stochastic resonance. However on the CD80 the lights are above the cd and in front of the lil window that lets you watch the cd spin. I would assume this was cosmetic with the colour of the lights matching the display.

Speaking of the display, is there any way of switching it off and would it make a difference to the sound? I know these flourescent displays use oscillators and the display board itself is unsheilded, whilst other players offder this option.
Old 15th February 2005, 11:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Modicum,

You can add shielding to this part of the cd80.

By cutting a sheet of aluminium or copper to exact measurements and the add this to the sides that you to shield off, by using these "special screws" to keep a distance between the shield and the print of the display.

Maybe Jean Paul knows a way to switch of the display of the cd80?

René

p.s. off topic Jean Paul, do you know what the op amp does that sits next to the tda1541 a in the c.d. 80, and can it be improved by changing it to another opamp. Furthermore do you have experiences regarding substituting the 'old' opamps in the cd80 to ad797!! Please let me know because i am very curious to know what you think.

Hide this!Advertise here!