PIC programming

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for the response.
I want to build the pre-amp in the AudioXPress Mag and have aquired the pic18lf452. I have no idea how to program the pic or what programming intails. Is programming difficult?
Do I need special tools.
Sorry I am totally new to this.
Thanks Steve.

The first thing you need to acquire is the *.hex file for the project. Once you have that file, you now need special hardware to program the PIC. I've built this one and it works. Alternatively you can buy one, I bought this one to do all my school projects and it makes life alot easier if you are planning on doing any real development. Next you need software so your PC can send the *.hex file to the programmer. The PIC Key programmer I linked to uses a program called IC Prog. It might be a little bit more trouble than it's worth just to program one PIC, a local university may have all the tools you'd need, or maybe you could order a pre-programmed PIC. Anyways, good luck...

I have not done a PIC project recently. I am interested in what PIC environments people use. I have done pic start pro / assembly, css c over a boot loader.

In particular, the next project I want to use a smd that will operate at 3.3v, connected to devices that are not 5v tolerant. Being able to load and reload while the pic is soldered down is critical. I would greatly prefer not to use assembly.

Any suggestions? I really doubt I am the first one here to deal with this issue.

Thanks!

If you can live with ICprog, you can embed the PIC Key circuit into your board and program in-circuit that way, but it's not a very good solution. However that's the only in-circuit method I've tried so far. Microchip has an in-circuit programming system, but I believe it only works with certain chips. That's just one of the many reasons I like the AVR microcontrollers more than PICs: its very easy to get an in-circuit programming setup going.

The PIC KEY cct is interesting, solving the iffy ground-shift of the
original JDM / Ludi with a charge pump.
surprised I had not run across it before, glad to get the link.
I think: the older your OS/ the older your motherboard/ the more likely
the JDM ludipipo and ICProg will work.
I never had a problem with win98 and BX (p2-p3) motherboard.

wisp628 programmer is also a good choice, but you gotta
program the pic in the programmer....
YMMV
D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.