nakamichi cd player 2 repair - please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if I have this thread in the wrong section...

I have a Nakamichi "CD Player 2" that is not reading discs.
I took the cover off, cleaned the laser and all surrounding parts, re-assembled it, it still didn't play.
So, I started pressing on the top area that holds the disc down (sorry... I don't know what the components are called). It played when I pressed in certain directions - nothing consistent though...
I then noticed the top disc assembly that spins and holds the cd in place was wobbling slightly. I took it apart and noticed that the foam around the part that spins in the bracket is worn out and not running concentric anymore.
First Question - Does anyone make these replacement foam parts? Where might I obtain one? Does it sound like the problem may be solved with this part replaced.
Next question - When the cd player did play a disc, it had alot of static in the sound. Would this be caused because I have the cover off and light is clouding the laser reading capability? or could it be something else?
Last question - Am I wasting my time trying to fix this thing? I own a Nakamichi MB-2s already and it sounds great. This is supposed to be the model right before the MB-2s and was described to me as being a better cd player. It was made in Japan (MB-2s made in china I believe). I just hope it has similar quality sound. If anyone knows anything about it, please let me know...
Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Bonz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.