MAX232 Connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I found several schematics on the net regarding the connection of a max232 to a pic.

As for its V+ pin is concerned, somtimes it is connected to +5V, sometimes to ground (both through a decoupling cap) whilst its V- pin is always connectd to the ground

Why ?

Do I connect V+ to ground or +5V ? What is the difference ?

PS : I will use the MAX232IN ;)

Regards

Hello Zers

Those EIA RS232 adapters have to convert 0, 5V ttl to +12/-12 rs232 levels (same as V28 CCITT).
You connect +5V on Vcc pins, and it is all.
In the circuit, you will find a voltage doubler and a voltage inverter in order to output the good levels.
You just have to connect decoupling devices (Capacitor) on the pins V+ and V- . Those tension are internal and permit the +/-12V on the output.

Philippe

philbyx said:
Hello Zers

Those EIA RS232 adapters have to convert 0, 5V ttl to +12/-12 rs232 levels (same as V28 CCITT).
You connect +5V on Vcc pins, and it is all.
In the circuit, you will find a voltage doubler and a voltage inverter in order to output the good levels.
You just have to connect decoupling devices (Capacitor) on the pins V+ and V- . Those tension are internal and permit the +/-12V on the output.

Philippe
salut philby, comme on se retrouve :D

It is a charge pump converter to convert 5v into +/- 10v. Vcc and GND are the power supply pins. The others are internal connections for the charge pump doubler, inverter, etc.

Just do what everyone else does (or should be doing!) and use the schematic shown in the data sheet :) Incidentally Maxim now have a chip to do this job that needs no external capacitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.