Best R2R dac chip? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2005, 02:21 PM   #1
Kip is offline Kip  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best R2R dac chip?

I have finished a CD-PRO2M kit and would like to incorporate an internal dac. I have read on this site as well as searches on the internet about dacs. The PRO2M will output I2S and EIAJ. I2S is the default and EIAJ would require a software change. Most of my research has been on the TDA1541, TDA1543 and TDA1545a. The TDA1545a requires the EIAJ format. Today I was looking at Burr Brown PCM1704 and I do have two (somewhere) PCM63s. I also have an AD1865n. My choice is an R2R dac with no-oversampling, no receiver and enough output to elimiate any I/V stage. I would really like to be able to run balanced outputs. I am open to all suggestions, but would like to keep it as simple as possible. I realize no-oversampling does produce much noise above 22khz, so oversampling could be ok, but direct I2S or EIAJ. I am also open to a solid state I/V stage.
Old 27th January 2005, 08:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Best R2R dac chip?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kip
I have finished a CD-PRO2M kit and would like to incorporate an internal dac. I have read on this site as well as searches on the internet about dacs. The PRO2M will output I2S and EIAJ. I2S is the default and EIAJ would require a software change. Most of my research has been on the TDA1541, TDA1543 and TDA1545a. The TDA1545a requires the EIAJ format. Today I was looking at Burr Brown PCM1704 and I do have two (somewhere) PCM63s. I also have an AD1865n. My choice is an R2R dac with no-oversampling, no receiver and enough output to elimiate any I/V stage. I would really like to be able to run balanced outputs. I am open to all suggestions, but would like to keep it as simple as possible. I realize no-oversampling does produce much noise above 22khz, so oversampling could be ok, but direct I2S or EIAJ. I am also open to a solid state I/V stage.

Hi

I'd suggest PCM1704. Accepts direct clock input hence the cleanest clock available will directly take care of conversion (see datasheet)

Needless to say that the currently present clock at the CDpro can be bettered......The rest of the drive is very OK

cheers
Old 27th January 2005, 07:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is there a circuit that you could recommend for the PCM1704? Maybe an evaluation board from Burr Brown. Is it possible to do 0x oversampling with this dac? Has anyone done it? Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 27th January 2005, 07:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kip
Is there a circuit that you could recommend for the PCM1704? Maybe an evaluation board from Burr Brown. Is it possible to do 0x oversampling with this dac? Has anyone done it? Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi

Follow the datasheet, one could hardly speak of schematic. I like low jitter clocks, and clean shunt regs for all supplies. Ofcourse ignore BB's layout reccomandations.....

No NOS experience yet with this IC

success
Old 27th January 2005, 07:31 PM   #5
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

what are those "clean shunt regs"?
Old 27th January 2005, 07:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bricolo
what are those "clean shunt regs"?

current source on top, then think of the classical Vbe multiplier with LED in emitter, extended with another transistor to increase gain
Old 28th January 2005, 11:10 PM   #7
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
How are you planning to avoid an I/V stage? Is the next piece of equipment current-coupled?
Old 28th January 2005, 11:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have read on the internet that some are using the TDA1543 and TDA1545 with the current output and using a resistor to convert to voltage. I think a single chip is good for .6 volts. I don't think balanced is possible unless there is and I/V stage. If I get a chip with voltage output then maybe this is easier. I am not opposed to an I/V stage, I prefer a balanced class A output. I have a fully balanced amplifier. I want to build a R2R 0x oversampling dac with a class A balanced out. My CD-PRO2m will output I2S or EIAJ format and I want to go directly into the dac chip from the PRO. Other then that I am flexable.
Old 28th January 2005, 11:33 PM   #9
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Oh, I see. A resistor is an I/V converter, just a really, really simple (and bad) one.
Old 28th January 2005, 11:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am open to any suggestions. I can't design, just build. 0x oversampling and direct to dac from PRO transport via I2s or EIAJ is my only definite.

Hide this!Advertise here!