Splicing a Toslink cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Splicing a Toslink cable
I am looking at getting a head unit that has proprietary optical connector
What I am wondering if there is a good way to splice an optical cable?
I need to make one end a standard Toslink and the other a proprietary connection for a Clarion drz9255
Anyone done this?

Hi
heres a link for Toslink crimp on ends

http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_connectors.htm

I am unsure of what u are trying to do but...
if u are trying to get digital out of the DRZ
you cant have CeNet changer hooked up
since it configures the digital port on the
DRZ for digital input. Just fyi

To make a Clarion - Toslink cable you would
need to cut up a DCA-008 or DCA007 fiber
cable depending on length. Since the Clarion
cable is directional you need to figure out
which end is TX and which is RX. If my memory is
correct on my ADCS-1 the headunit
digital out connector (TX) is grey and the processors
input (RX) is black. So if you are trying to use an
external processor or D/A, you would keep the
grey end and cut off the black end replacing it
with the Toslink crimp on end.
Once you know the length and which end is
needed, cut off the excess with a sharp razor
blade and crimp on your Toslink end.

I would stay away from optical splitters (unpowered)
Rather I would use a powered repeater if needed.
I think I got one from RatShack a while back..

Good luck!

Hi Mugen

All you have to do is buy a Clairon optical cable and cut off "black " color coded end which has a embedded Toslink reciever inside. Then as I mentioned above replace it with a crimp on Toslink plug. You can then plug it directly into the Alpine. How you control the Alpine with a Clarion HU is the problem! It may want data over the Ai-Net or whatever bus format Alpine uses before it will allow audio out. If you have an Alpine controller for this processor it may pass remote control codes (vol,mute,source)
I am not that familiar with Alpine gear....

So, take apart the black end and replace with a full size Toslink connector. This full size will then plug into the Alpine peice? Just double-checking.

I will do the same with the Clarion CD Changer I have, which also has optical out. Clarion uses what is called C-Net, which is like Alpine's Ai-Net, but I think both manufacturers use these wires to power the equipment as well as carry audio and control signals. When optical is used, I believe the sound signals default to optical......... is all this correct?

The Alpine comes with a separate controller, so it looks like I can make it work.

You guys just made my day.

heres the point i am at today:
hook up my drz and conected the optical cable
head unit will not see the optical in unless a changer is conected
so i think i will need to buy one and just leave it disconected and use the toslink from my pc , kinda a bummer but i am thinking this will work. there is a switch on the changer for optical or analog output. i am going to email warewolf from elite car audio .com for some help and maybe he know a bypass. will let ya know.

So your deck didn't recognize the digital out unless it was hooked up to a CD Changer?

I got this from someone at Clarion.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

The optical output on our equipment is, as far as I can tell, a standard SPDIF output from the laser mechanism, it is wired in parallel to the input of the DSP module inside the head unit.

Our connector though is a proprietary unit that includes the Optical LED transceiver, so there is no chance of the connection becoming 'dirty' as with a direct fiber interface.

Toslink is a connector standard, and is simply a fiber optic cable - many high-speed LAN systems use this.

IF it will work, and all the timing and data line up (something I can't guarantee), then all you'd need is cable with a Clarion Connector at one end and a Toslink connector at the other.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Well, I just bought the Alpine piece today and will connect the two via RCA for now. I will then purchase a Clarion digital cable and do the change. This seems kinda crazy to do since I'm thinking of dumping the Clarion and going all Alpine anyway. The Alpine deck deck I want won't be available until mid April, so just for kicks I'll do it. I just hope I don't fry anything <hee hee>.

Hi again Lawrence99, Mugen

I was going to ask how the DRZ9255-carputer project was going but I got sidetracked.

I have a similar problem with my ADCS-1 and an external digital source. Basically you need to have a changer filled with "dummy"recorded blank CD-R(all"0" data) or just some CD-R with any 70 min long single track to fakeout the HU into accepting the input and releasing its mute.

Others have reverse engineered the various bus protocols to enable more direct control of a carputer from the HU but no one has done this for Clarion's C-Bus or Ce-Net yet. ( If they have they aren't sharing the info) If I had some motivation to decode the protocol I could do it, but I would have to enlist someone else to write the windows or linux interface code.

An approach that doesn't need a computer interface would be to make a changer emulator which would act like a changer with one really long track, the max track length accepted by the HU, lets say 99:99. So every 100 minutes the track would repeat and cause a brief mute. If you were willing to hack your HU you could get rid of this periodic mute.Just intercept the mute signal inside the HU send it to the changer emulator and let it decide when a mute should occur.This should be setup to default back to the HU when the external source is not selected. Yeah I know easy for me to say...Don't want to void any warranties! It really depends on how deep you want to get into the hardware and software.

I wish the aftermarket manufacturers would just allow for a carputer source thru firewire or usb but they all want to tightly control their market with proprietary interfaces. They aren't concerned with our needs unless we are in the majority, like the iPod guys.

-john

BTW Lawrence, did the DCA008 cable end come apart easily or did you have to break it open? Cool idea to use mini to full size adaptor!

Hi Eric_R,

I guess you are using the proper definition of "splicing";)

What we were concerned with is "converting" from one type of end termination to another so as to enable compatibility between different manufacturers proprietary products.

Your concept of "melt splicing" or a "fusion splice" as it is called in the telcom fiber industry is interesting. I would like to know how you have accomplished this with plastic fibers, since I would just end up with burnt fingers , a foul smell, and blackened plastic if I tried it! Here's how its done for glass:

http://charmian.sonoma.edu/~bryant/Fall2004/366Labs/Photonics_Lab_1_Fiber_Optic_Basics_ver2.doc

The equipment for creating a fusion splice in MM or SM glass fiber is not cheap because of the extremely tight tolerances required to make a good low-loss splice. I haven't seen any fusion splicers for 1000um PMMA plastic fibers. Do they exist?

Maybe since 1000um plastic fiber is used for short run, low bandwidth links there is no market for it since people can easily cut the fiber to length and terminate with clamp-on ends. There are so many problems with jitter and reflections with large core fiber, why add more?

I think I could do it with index matching optical adhesive and three small precision rods to keep the fibers aligned, but heating plastic until it welds has been a smelly disaster for me..

Clarion to Toslink Adapter Prototype

Hi guys

I was really bored this weekend.....

Inspired by Lawrence99, I hacked a perfectly good DCA001 to make this abortion. Seems to work fine but needs mechnical reinforcing if its going to live in a car.

It seems that Toshiba OEM's the Clarion ends so it was a relatively easy swap of the plastic "shell" with cutting and filing of course.

This is very similar to a SONY XA-D210 adapter.

The reciever is next!

Attachments

• clarion - toslink tx.jpg
    clarion - toslink tx.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 437
Clarion Cables

Hi,
I think I have a similar problem. I have a Clarion DRX9575Rz and Clarion DPH7500z. DPH7500z DRX9575Rz
I would like to be able to hook up a separate unit, such as an mp3 player, laptop, portable dvd player, etc. My problem is that the DPH7500z has Clarion digital fiber optic inputs. As far as I can understand, you folks have been working with these Clarion cables, and though my units are a few years old, I'm thinking they use the same cables you are modifying (not sure if Clarion has updated their cable connector since then). So my questions are: is this cable mod the same procedure I should try? If so, where do you find these Clarion cables? --> I haven't had any luck searching so far, are they expensive? Is there anything else I might need?
The DPH7500z is connected to the head unit with the Cenet controller. I should also mention that whatever separate unit I hook up (mp3 player, etc.) it will likely have a non-toslink output. For this I plan to use some other adapter like a toslink to mini-plug adapter for a headphone jack. Please let me know what you think? Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. I'm not an expert on the subject and am still unsure if this can even be done.

Yes they are the same cables...

Hi Blankman

If I were you I'd use the simplest setup possible.

The optical cables you need are available from PacParts
They are DCA001 16' ($79.99) or DCA002 5' ($69.99) These where listed in the '9575z manual for digitally connecting the head unit to a DSP, like the DPH7500z This makes for better SQ since CeNET has a balanced audio connection only which gets re-converted to digital by the DPH7500z causing extra noise and distortion.

You can use either the Toslink crimp ends (see earlier post) or Lawrence99's method to replace the "grey" end which is the Clarion fiber optic transmitter. I can't recommend trying to make my adapter shown above since it requires some delicate work and creative use of epoxy which I haven't perfected yet!

When you say the external source has a non- Toslink source what do you mean? I think that you may only have analog outputs on your source and need an analog to digital converter with Toslink output. You can get these from Radio Shack or Parts Express but they usually suck for SQ.

But before you drop any cash you need to know how to select your new digital input from the headunit without the source being recognized thru CeNET. I think you may need a CeNET changer loaded up with "dummy disks" as I mentioned. Since I don't have experience with your gear specificly you can ask someone for help on the car audio forum or on elitecaraudio if you can't get the DPH7500z to switch inputs. Lawence99 is working on the same issue with his DRZ9255 but I don't know if it applies to your setup.

John

I think I got it.

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for the response. I think I just stumbled across an easy solution. I hooked up with some folks at a Clarion dealership and right before we were about to give up searching, we found this CeNET auxilary input adapter with RCA connectors offered by Clarion. They had never heard of it before, but it looks like it will do exactly what I want. I don't know why I never saw this part before, I guess I didn't know what exactly to look for. I didn't think to look for an adapter to plug into the actual CeNET port.

As for the rest of the system, I don't know if I was real clear before, but the DPH7500z and the DRX9575Rz are actually hooked up fine right now. My only issue was adding an auxilary input somehow, other than through an FM Modulator which some had recommended to me before. I thought I would have to convert the Clarion fiber optic inputs on the DSP to toslink, then convert the toslink to RCA or Mini. But if this Clarion part converts the CeNET port to an auxilary RCA input, then I guess that's what I need.

Let me know what you think if you get a chance. And thanks again for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.