Help!The display problem on Marantz CD94&CD95.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help!The display problem on Marantz CD94&CD95.

Both of mentioned CD players have the same problem,but all the functions are OK,please see the attached picture.
Can someone let me know how to settle?Is it caused by display panel?or caused by driver IC?
thanks.

Attachments

• cd95ÏÔʾ.jpg
    cd95ÏÔʾ.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 467
Marantz CD95

Mine is Marantz CD95 and looks same, CD95 seems was made for Japan only because Power Supply Tansformer only 110 volt. The same problem also happened to mine. Three pcs regulators IC (3 pins) fitted in this player runs too hot because without heatsink. I have tried to put heatsink on those too hot regulators and the display problem cured. You may try to put your finger on those regulators so you know which regulators run too hot. This old CD Player fitted with 2 x TDA1541A Single Crown and 2 x SAA 7220. The CD drive is Phillips CDM1 die cast aluminium. OP Amps on analog circuit are JRC's types which should be replaced with newer OP Amp such as latest Burr Brown or Analog Device. I read several tweaks of NON OVERSAMPLING DAC regarding TDA1541A fitted CD players. Anybody can help me of how to modify this player to be NON OVERSAMPLING as they said it comes very close to SACD sound, which is very interesting to me with this very old fine CD Player.
Wempie

thanks,

But I don't think the 3 pins regulator will effecte the display,both CD94 and CD95 have enough heat sink for 3 pcs regulators,and they are not too hot,so I think the display problem is not caused by power supply.I have checked all power supply and they are normal(DC output:+11.71V,-11.8V,+4.84V,-5.95V,-22V,+13.2V,-13.2V,AC ouput for filament:3.6V).

If you want to hear NOS Dac's sound,I suggest you to DIY another external NOS Dac,do not modify the machine.

Hi,
Please also check a long big IC behind the display panel, it may be too hot and need a cooler. Any electrolitic close to this IC may need to be replaced. It also happened to my previous Marantz CD74. Thanks to your advice - I will not modify my machine. My CD95 some of the regulators not the 2 pcs at power supply was not fitted with heat sink. The regulators maker ROhm. I also have an old Denon DCD3520. The display problem was due to overheat regulators, and it was cured by adding heatsink only.

I can't say for sure if your symptom corresponds, but the only troubles I have ever had with this generation of Philips player displays have ALL been caused by dying capacitors, which are always either Panasonic/Matsushita(guaranteed to be dying if original) or Philips & other German lytics. So, any of these you find on the display, processor & supply boards should all be replaced, with Nichicons if you really want longevity, and chances are good your display problem will evaporate.

Hi guys,
I know this is a little late, but just saw the post. The display is constructed more or less like a vacuum-tube, you have filament, anode and so on. The two mostly known reasons for this is, a microscopic leakage meaning small amounts of air over the years gets inside the display. The other reason being that the display over the years simply burn out like an ordinary tube (no emission left on the catodes). There´s a catode for each dot, and therefore the difference in light on different caracters. Like even with matched tubes one will eventually burn out before the other. Hope this helps to understand you´r problems :cool::cool::cool:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
looks similar to what happened on my marantz DV18. Although it stopped working completely and random elements of the display lit up. It turned out (I got the shop to fix it) to be dry joints on the digital control board. I now always turn it off (rather than letting it go into standby) when I've finished using it.

Tony.

Thank you for your prompt response stephensank, you're a repairman?
I explain better my problem:
The characters of the display are made irregularly, which means if you refer lit some segments that should not be, and then display the information is confusing and meaningless.
Do you belive is appropriate to check the capacitors?
Have you ever had this problem?
I began to fear that the lc5654d could be the cause of the problem and unfortunately this needs to be programmed , better mange!
To be more clear if you want I can post some pictures.
Thanks to everyone who responded and for sorry my English, but I'm using Google translator.

I can't say for sure if your symptom corresponds, but the only troubles I have ever had with this generation of Philips player displays have ALL been caused by dying capacitors, which are always either Panasonic/Matsushita(guaranteed to be dying if original) or Philips & other German lytics. So, any of these you find on the display, processor & supply boards should all be replaced, with Nichicons if you really want longevity, and chances are good your display problem will evaporate.

I do think it possible that dying caps are the problem, although I would not be surprised if there was not also a lot of resoldering needed, particularly the display tube pins & the driver chip pins. I have never seen an FL display driver chip fail, nor any main controller going bad in such a way as to cause such a symptom. And, yes, been building & servicing for 30+ years.

Yesterday my friend allowed me to take measures on its 94 operating cd and unfortunately I must say that I now almost certain that the problem is lc6554d.
But I can not exchange it because I do not want to risk ruining the alchemical cd player of my friend.
However on the card in question are:
1) display
2) lc6554d
3) 3 electrolytic capacitors (which I already replaced)
4) some smd transistor interposed between the display and lc6554d
I think the more suspect is the lc6554d.
Can anyone help me find him a piece acceptable elso if used but working?
Thanks in advance

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A picture would help. I agree with stephensank, it almost certainly won't be the driver IC.

The usual suspects for caps are the ones that generate the negative rail for the display. These are a common failure item on any equipment and are located on the PSU.
A scope can be used to check the address from the driver IC, if any are at an indeterminate level then the next step is to isolate those lines and make sure it's not caused by internal leakage in the display.

Very hard to say without seeing the actual sysmptom but caps are 99% of the trouble usually. The voltages (on a scope, not a DVM) will reveal the fault, you just have to be logical.

This thread shows the basic idea... but yours ? we need to see a picture of the symptom.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/147694-marantz-cd5000-display-very-dull-help.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.