Just a little recap on CD67se mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Just a few questions on the old CD67/63 etc mods (and using info from TNT audio and Accoustica)

Caps: Having a hard time finding supplies of everything listed in the various sites, and why replace all the electrolytics when they all seem to be good Elna Cerafines anyway? Only for the extra voltage rating?
What is a good substitute these days for Nichicon PL's? (and bypass caps for the same in the PSU's)
Philips 1% Polystyrenes - can't get 'em??
LCR 2.5% good enough??

LC audio 8065 Type 1 OPamp substitutions:
Got a couple of these and the ******s don't fit due to the size of the ELNA Starget Analogue PSU caps! Did I need type 3? Will I be stuffing up the sound due to lead length inductances if I extend the pins with solid hookup? (I suspect so)

Extisting Opamps:

+12V seems to be slightly differet between the opamps. One is 11.6, other is 11.4 . Cause for concern or am I just being an idiot..

Thanks for any help in advance all

Matt

the higher V rating LCR polystyrenes are 1% tolerence. If ya cant source em polyproplyene caps would be more stable that the mylars marantz uses on that filter

up2u with the caps, in the UK farnell sells os-con SP series and other series os-cons also they sell panasonic FC's and rubycon ZA/ZL series, not much in the way of exotics around england unless you mail order from some of the small enthusiast shops around. It somes down to whats around you and how much ya willing to spend, price does normaly = performance with electrolytic caps

The reason your wanting to use higher V rated caps is you'd be using them for their lower ESR (charge/dis-charge speed), you'll notice minor improvements in the analouge stage using low ESR caps ((using those big silmic 470uF 35V at the analouge power inputs on the DAC does a hell of alot, for me it opened the sound stage something cronic, they sound really nice aswell. change ya resoviour caps in the PSU for good quality high ripple rejection caps and slam in the silmics at the analouge PSU pins on the DAC like thorsten suggests, keep ya cerafines, or get some silmics or whatever)), But remember if your changing decoupling caps around the digital ICs your gunna want roughly the same resonant frequency between the cap thats there and the cap your gunna replace it with, digital decoupling really needs to calculated and observed, get data sheets for the caps you have and what ya changing them to so ya can check where that value of cap resonates at. If there physicsly alot bigger than those 220uF 10/16s they proberly wont be right for the task, anything ya change them to will change the sound of the player to some degree, i didnt have to much luck in digital decoupling dept when i had a stab, the originals sounded better than what i had around me, I may have another pop with black gates some time soon in the near future :).

Thanks for the reply

Which ones do you mean exactly by the following:

"((using those big silmic 470uF 35V at the analouge power inputs on the DAC does a hell of alot, for me it opened the sound stage something cronic, they sound really nice aswell."

I aren't looking at the guts right now - but you mean taking the big tall ******s from I think 803, 804 (next to the transformer) and putting them in what spots exactly?

Took the muting caps out and got rid of the ground plane as per accoustica's mod - not sure I like it after the muting caps are out... More detail but a bit too much laid back and muffled (if these two ideas don't clash!)

Sorry to ask for exact numbers But I am not electronically trained!! (but the skills are there!!)

Cheers

Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.