Wireless USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been listening to my WAV files with XP & Media player, my USB port and a PCM2902 chip.

I've been thinking about moving the computer with all of the WAV files into a different room and doing a wireless connection...something I have zero experience with.

Often times, all I do is put Media player on "shuffle" and listen to my collection of music play at random.

I suppose I could go upstairs....turn on the computer and have it play like this so....
At bare minimum, could I simply get a wireless 802.11g system that has USB to feed the PCM2902 on the receiving end?

Do these wireless units act as a transceiver and then have to be configured to operate as an xmtr or rcvr?....or can I get some sort of simple xmtr/rcvr pair that would simply connect to the computer port on the xmtr end and the PCM2902 on the rcvr end?

I'm talking about playing what's on the computer without using another computer to access it.

Sorry, I don't think is possible like you propose. The Wi-Fi stuff you're talking about are network cards and will act as such. You can't connect a USB soundcard to a USB network card. The soundcard will have to be connected to a computer to work and get it's data. To play your music by wireless you need to get something that does that like a multimedia player like:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MP101.php
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=243&subcategory=247&product=9192
Philips SL400i

At least if I understood you correctly...

Actually, I do remember having seen one device that would do just that. It was sort of a standalone soundcard with a wireless receiver. No USB involved, just a self contained receiver. Transmitter is the main PC the music is on.

Now, if I could recall what brand it was ... But it wasn't even expensive, more like an external USB sound card.

MBK

I have found the perfect solution for this. Buy a networkrouter with a build in USB host controller and a WiFi transmitter that runs Linux. Now you can compile your own Linux version with USB audio support and connect the PCM2902 to the router. Stream the audio over Wifi to the router and enjoy the music!

These guys are working on solutions like this:
www.norocketscience.com

I explained my solution really bad, but Google can help you out.

Hi Jmar,

The FM solution is by far the easiest and short range module(both Tx Rx) pairs are relatively easy to find. All that they usually require is an antenna - assuming you are not trying to send it to the other end of the neighbourhood! If you are, then you'll need to make an amplifier for both, or find a higher Tx power transmitter.

However the USB device (PCM2902/2702 etc) negotiates bandwidth on the USB bus and this will not occur and the USB streaming audio will not occur if your port is not setup (as in via the device).

All this talk of writing Linux drivers sounds like way too much work! And to get the USB port to output audio data without the codec is a bit of an ask...

A better solution would be to use the headphone out and transmit the stereo signals (via FM) to a simple dual band FM receiver.

In short it gets very messy the second you throw codecs and operating systems in the mix.

apollyon25

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.