Digital X-Over idea - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2001, 08:17 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The prof that the audio industry is moving to digital, it that it's beginning to appear studio monitors that incorporate DSP for Eq, phase and everything.
Dynaudio acoustics is releasing the Air series monitors with DSP. They even comunicate by Cat 5 cable between them and the base controller. Another cheaper entry in this trend is Alesis. I suspest everybody and they parrots will follow very soon.
I do not have the skills to build and program such a device, so I dedicated an old computer running comercial software to equalize and correct my system. It works ok., or at least better that without it.

cheers

Ric
Old 14th November 2001, 03:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Car Stereo

Looks like car stereos have had digital crossovers etc for a long time. Maybe I should buy myself a car stereo for my home????

They have also been quite active in digital amplification (switching) for obvious reasons.

Petter
Old 14th November 2001, 04:10 PM   #13
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Petter,

Car stereo's use digital EQ because the special purpose IC's designed for car stereos basically give you digital EQ for free. I am not aware of car stereo's that use digital crossovers (not my area of interest to be honest).

A car is a very different acoustic environment than a home. The noise floor is much higher (wind, tire and engine noise) and the acoustic space is much smaller which locates the listener closer to the speakers. I think most people would be disappointed by the performance of their car stereo's if they tried to use them in their houses.

Switching power supplies are regularly used in car audio but I haven't heard anything about digital amplification. The 12 VDC supply in cars limits the maximum power an amp can provide so high power car amps use a DC to DC converter to create the supply voltages they need. This is also what manufactures are usually talking about when they claim they use MOSFET's in their car amps.

Phil Ouellette
Old 4th November 2005, 11:19 PM   #14
wdyn1 is offline wdyn1  United States
diyAudio Member

Coincidence always gets you...

I just ordered one of these boards (not yet received, project not started)

www.easyfpga.com

the big one: EZ1CUSB-12. Not a DSP per se, but I've seen them used as such and a very powerful tool. My plan is to do exactly what you're talking about, Petter. Bring SPDIF (or other) in, do the jitterbug, crossover, eq, FFT, whatever. Its completely reprogammable to any of the users needs.

About DSP: the math isn't so bad, but there is a lot of math and a lot of math to choose from. You must choose wisely.

Nathan
Old 5th November 2005, 01:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to KimBOlesen
Hi

look at http://www.duffroomcorrection.com/wiki/Main_Page

best regards
Kim Olesen
www.micro-io.dk

Hide this!Advertise here!