Luxman d-105u, upgraded opamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2004, 02:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Luxman d-105u, upgraded opamp

Hi, i am new to this board, i have done some modifications into my Luxman tube cd player.
I have replaced the op amp of the I/V stage with a discrete components op amp, all FET.

I hope the picture will go thru...

I have added another board as well to control some functions via a Sony remote, because the luxamn remote seems to be a ghost.
Anyway, my power amp is a Sony ES so it is just logical to have only one remote for the whole sound system, isnt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microboard.jpg (60.7 KB, 266 views)
Old 28th December 2004, 05:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

And here is the board for the IR remote, sony protocol.
The board control 7 functions of the cd player. I do have the complete service manual of this CD player as well. If one want help i can send scan.

On the picture, you can barely see one of the op amp replacement boards.

I have also changed the muting output of this cd player. I would realy like to understand why one implement expensive tube and double dac on a cd player, but finishes it with cheap transistor muting system. It does realy clip the sound output and makes high transistions audible and realy bad. Now it is simple reed relays.

cheers !

Pat Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ir bord resized.jpg (90.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 29th December 2004, 03:10 PM   #3
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Luxman d-105u, upgraded opamp

Quote:
Originally posted by pat allen
Hi, i am new to this board, i have done some modifications into my Luxman tube cd player.
I have replaced the op amp of the I/V stage with a discrete components op amp, all FET.

I hope the picture will go thru...

I have added another board as well to control some functions via a Sony remote, because the luxamn remote seems to be a ghost.
Anyway, my power amp is a Sony ES so it is just logical to have only one remote for the whole sound system, isnt?
Are those tantalum caps on the board? I hope not!
Old 29th December 2004, 08:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Why?
All the caps into the circuit are for dc filtering of the power supply, none of the audio path goes thru any caps in this design.

As you said, if its sounds good, it is good

I know someone that have deleted the I/V stage, and have changed the way the tubes are biased, by the help of a software simulator. He said that it sounded far better.
Who knows...

Pat Allen
Old 30th December 2004, 11:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Maybe because tantalum caps are famous for breaking down when used directly on the supply lines...

Or because they generally sound worse ( but measure better )than normal electrolytic caps...

Or ( last but not least ) the environmental and socials aspects that come around with the winning of tantalum....

http://www.interesting-information.c.../ethicsq1.html

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/earth/waton/s0110.html

Hide this!Advertise here!