PCM56 "S" stamp ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Bernhard,

Do U had the photos of the 'S' grade chips??

I had only 'K' grade on hand, I also hadn't seen 'S' before.

thx

thomas

Attachments

• p1010051.jpg
    p1010051.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 808
Dear

dear Bernhard,

all chips I got from Taiwan. My friend was one of the computor chips dealer for monther board & CD , DVD machine OEM factory in China & Taiwan. All the chips were sample for show off. He send to me because he want to tell me that PCM63P had japan made & taiwan made two version. In his opinions, jaoan made will be better. This will be same as TDA1541, holland madeversion, OEM versions & at last Taiwan version. Most people said taiwan TDA1541a R1 or the best S2 had smooth sound than early holland made but lack of bass than early chips.

As the photos shows. He had PCM56K on hand. Later I will try to build the PCM 56K non-oversampling to test the performance.

Now I got one small factory in taiwan & it will to fit all the parts on the PCB. So the DIyer will early to test the DAC. But another tube buffer PCB must funish by Diyers.

Hope they will like them, more precision chips to me to test more....... very good.

thx

thomas

Attachments

• p1010051.jpg
    p1010051.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 646
I believe the "S" on the PCM56 indicates that it is a sample.
I don't believe it has anything to do with gradeout. In that
case, it's just a plain vanilla part, not a high grade.

I do not know about the PCM63P-K-2. "K" is generally the
highest grade, so one could presume that K-2 is slightly
better. ?? Note that on some DACs, the "L" grade is
a lower grade ("L" == "low cost" ??) than the standard
non-suffixed product.

Dear Bernhard,

I tried to ask some people about this gradeing, J.K,K2.

Actually K2 is special selected from K grade. But was very very limited production. May be was request by some CD machine factory previous time. which prepare top produce Hi-end CD machine. But 'now' nobody can told me about this detail. My friend said all the sample sent to me as the photos show was collect in same time. This is dealer samples only.

Pls understood he is not ask me for money. He had not any profit.

My friend selling many chips. He not need to resell remark chips. I trust my friend. Otherwise, he will not help me to search 20 pcs of CS8412. He had his path to collect difficult & stop production chips.

U can see that the ,J,K,K2 was not same as the BB printing. It means was selected after produce large amount of chips.

For most easy to considerate that which grading was the chips abourt 'S'. I suggested to make sure that the price of the machine selling price. Do U agreed that cheap grade of machine will not use higher grade chips.

this is my opinions.

thx

thomas

Thomas,

The grade marks on the PCM63 or other B-B DACs _IS_ a
Burr-Brown mark. The common method of grading such
chips (DACs, Op-amps, etc.) is to give them the generic
marking information (logo, generic p/n, lot code, etc.) when
the product is packaged. Then when the lot is tested,
the parts are "binned" based on their grade. The grade
stamp is added to indicate the appropriate grade and the
parts are then sent to their individual stock locations.

As you say, they are "selected". A lot of DACs require
more extensive laser trimming for the high grades. In
that case most of a production lot will yield to the
desired grade, but still there will be downgrades and
after-test marking of the grade letter.

B-B and ADI use letters for grades. The famous Phillips
DAC (TDA1541 ?) had different crown symbols stamped
on the better grades (after all it is "Royal Dutch Phillips"...)

dear BrianL,

agreed, Pls take a look of my K grade chips from BB was same as your described. But the PCM1704 looks not use this method to described the K grade. K grade show in two white spots.

TDA 1541a single crown had many different crown symbols stamped. Some was beautiful & some was so ugly.

thx

thomas

Attachments

• p1010098.jpg
    p1010098.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 588
Thomas,

B-B/TI do not use dots on chips to mark gradeouts. I have
"K" grade PCM1704 and they are marked with a "K".

Very small products, like SOTs, have no marking on the part
and you must rely on the labeling of the reel. But larger
parts like SOIC and SSOP will have the letter grade marked.

Dear BrianL,

Is the production stamps for grading change from Japan to Korea???

Taiwans too....................

BB chips was very interesting, first will produce from Japan, than Korea, at last was taiwan.

I saw several DAC selling in Hong Kong had white spots on it & all stated was K grade. That why I ask for diyaudio.com's member.
I was very surprise for this because I collect chips from Taiwan also show in words stamp. J,K,K2 for grading.

Can U help me to versify that will different production period or products export to different place had different stamps.

Dear BrianL, I don't care to pay more money to buy high grade chips to build Kits for diyers. But first of all MUST THE CHIPS WAS REAL ONE '''''''NOT REMARK''''''. Quality is mainly for my kits.

thx a lot.

thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.