CS8412 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why do you have to replace the 8412, I have not checked the datasheet recently but I think it can cope with up to 24 bits and 48kHz which is what you'll at best get out of most dvdplayers.

And yes I believe it is pincompatible.

/Michael

when i connect it with some dvd's i get a lot of digital noise and no sound i think its 96khz? its some dvd's its sounds great!

If you have a DTS movie then a CS8414 won't help either. I would rather get a DVD player like I have, a cyberhome 462. It puts out converts AC3/DTS to PCM/Redbook standard.

Here is a thread over on diyhifi about replacing a CS8412 with CS8414.

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45

It is most likely as Bas says, you are getting a DD or DTS stream, dvd's and players that are encoded and send 96kHz as is are very, very..VERY rare.
If you actually get 96kHz PCM I would think the 8412 would mute or just won't be able to capture the clock which may have the same effect...silent.

Most dvd players have meny settings to convert DD and Mpeg to PCM, some also can convert DTS. Those that do then send it as 16/48 PCM which will be fine with your 8412 reciever.
There is also typically features that let you know what kind of audio stream you have.

Maybe Simon and Garfunkel also has a stereo PCM 16bit/44.1kHz track?

OR

Your Vestel player does not do its job as advertised?

OR

The Vestel player can convert everything to PCM but some at a higher sampling rate...in which case you MIGHT be helped by a 8414. Might because my DAC can accept sampling rates up to 192kHz, and who is to say at what sampling rate the Vestel outputs it PCM. Hopefully someone who really knows his story can help us.

Cheers,
Bas

2.0 can be either pcm, dd or mpeg, 5.1 can be dd, dts or mpeg so what is it you are refering to?

Just get into the menu system of the player, find audio options, digital out and set them all to PCM!? You should be 99% covered by then.

If it still don't work you probably have some sort of copyprotection that stops the spdif feed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.