Schematics 4 changing 8412 with 8416 needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.

As i found out lately, i can get my hands on some CS8416 (as opposed to none, which is good). Now, the thing is... while looking through the 8416 datasheet i suddenly sensed an acute migrane. This thing is no 8412 i said. Damn right it's not.
So how am i to proceed?
I want to build some non-os dacs. Basically it will be the SPDIF (8416) receiver and then a slot in which i put whatever dac board i choose (tda 1541/43/45 etc). So i need to be able to put the 8416 in the required state, like I2S or EIAJ on the outputs, with switches.

Is there please anybody there that can enlighten poor little'ol me?
Some schematics won't hurt...

What in the datasheet are you having trouble understanding? Section 13 gives you basically everything you need to know. The CS8416 is easy to use. Put appropriate caps on FILT, feed the signal in to RXP, get the recovered clock on RMCK and the audio data on the three output pins. You don't need to supply a separate clock (OMCK) -- it does nothing in normal operation; it only fills in if the signal lock is lost temporarily. The only thing you need to be careful about is FILT, which determines how well the device will filter jitter. Layout and parts selection tips are given in section 19. Follow that advice and you'll be fine.

Wow, thanks

As my native language is not english & i'm not a digital guru (mostly analogic stuff) i got a little confused, mostly by the amount of data in the datasheet (most part about sotware & registers).
Believe me, it's an eye opener when somebody gives you that little hint to where the door is.

I got it pretty good now. Basically i'm a little masochist about these things ;) , so i wanted to figure it out and do it all myself as opposed to have somebody else do it for me (this was pretty simple since there wasn't anyone able to).

What i wanted to do was to build this
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/convertusdecdig_e.html
with the possibility to change the 1543 with 1545.

So the problem was:
1. configuring the OLRCK & OSCLK as inputs
2. configuring the out format as I2S (for TDA1543) or EIAJ (for TDA1545)

Now i'm mostly "iluminated"

I see. :) You can safely ignore all the stuff about software and registers (about 70% of the datasheet). That's only useful if you're using a microcontroller, and you won't be. Another 10% of the datasheet is devoted to OMCK, which you can ignore as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.