Muse Model 2 DAC tweaking (CS8412/DF1700/2xPCM63K)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got my hands on this DAC. Its fairly old since its construction dates back to 1993, but my particular example was made in 1998.

It is build around popular CS8412 input reciver, BB DF1700 digital filter and two PCM-63 K dacs.

Inside view:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My first idea was to put a Tent Labs XO - DAC clock with its dedicated power supply and supply the regenerated clock to BOTH digital filter and two BB DACs (the XO - DAC has 3 independent clock outs).

My second idea was to replace all caps with Black Gate FK and Nx types.

I'm curious of your suggestions.

Hi Elberoth,

Did you ever make any headway with with your Muse Model Two? I just acquired one of these and am also thinking of some parts upgrades. Did you ever try anything other then the orginal AD AD846? Im looking at LME49713. Also thinking of trying out a DF1704 in place of the HDCD PMD100. It all socketted so easy swap I think. Have you sourced a schematic for the unit by chance?

replace DF1704 with something else

Hi Miro,

Yes I've heard 'something else' is life changing... When my friend replaced his DF1704 with 'something else' we experienced audio nirvana. I asked digikey the current supply of 'something else' and they said 'something else' is on permanent back-order with nothing in the pipline. So, I think DF1704 with its slow roll off might be best option in place of PMD100?

sorry for late reply (I have not notifications)
PMD100 is good but for one hi-fi device, not if you are looking for mass production because of ... you can try build device with "no digital filter" and check how it sound in comparison with DF1704 ...
PCM63 is 20bit, you can look for 20bit PCM logic (I2S to PCM), pavouk.org have this on site for PCM1702 ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.