CD player with volume control? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2004, 10:09 PM   #1
MEXXX is offline MEXXX  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
Default CD player with volume control?

I'm looking for a CD player (nothing too fancy) that has a digital output and a built in volume control, preferably digital also. I would like to mate this to a Non-OS DAC that would directly feed a power amp and don't want to add an extra component to control the volume.

TIA,

MEXXX
Old 19th December 2004, 09:05 PM   #2
Duncan is offline Duncan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The (original) Marantz CD72 has a variable output, governed by an internal motorised pot, so will remain the same volume even when switching off, and then back on again (not like later generations with digital volume controls)

Not sure if that would work for the digital outputs though (I doubt it)
Old 20th December 2004, 02:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My Marantz CD67SE has variable analog outputs and is one of the more popular players to mod. Check Audiogon.com for current prices.

Regards,
Dan
Old 20th December 2004, 02:32 PM   #4
YENFU is offline YENFU  United States
Account Disabled

Default dynamic range?

The digital volume control will hurt the dynamic range.

If you prefer better sound quality,you could try to put a better volume VR in front of the power amplifier.
Old 21st December 2004, 08:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
Thanks for the replies guys, but I still cant seem to find what Im looking for.

I think I'm just going to get one of these dacs http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW and mount a good pot on the front of it.

Regards,

MEXXX
Old 21st December 2004, 10:46 PM   #6
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

Denon made several really nice CD players with volume controls a few years back. All digital domian not an analog control. I'll get you the model numbers if you wish.
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sure, that would be great. I've tried looking but there are so many denons out there I'm not having much luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!