Suggestions for Clock distibution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,

I know that i can distibute the clock signal inside a player or a DAC using standard NAND or NOT chips.
The problem is that usually, they are not fast enough to deliver a clean and sharp pulse to the rest of the chips.

Anyone knows a fast logic family or line driver for this?

Who says that they are not fast enough?

I see lots of jitter in your future, as I sense you plan to use too many gates.

AC logic? Have you ever heard of ground bounce? Trying running your clock through an IC of that stuff with all the gates operating. You'll be sorry.

Jocko

Re: Who says that they are not fast enough?

Jocko Homo said:
AC logic? Have you ever heard of ground bounce? Trying running your clock through an IC of that stuff with all the gates operating. You'll be sorry.

Jocko
The guy wanted fast clock edges, and AC will provide that. Ground bounce? that's up to the designer to minimize that. :D

Good decoupling and power distribution practice combined with a bit of common sense - eg, don't do a 10:1 fanout from an AC logic output - and you're in good shape. The Johnson/Graham "High Speed Digital Design - A Handbook of Black Magic" is an excellent reference for this kind of stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.