S/Pdif output board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2004, 11:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default S/Pdif output board

Hi guys,

does anyone know about an already made DIY project, a kit, a not DIY stuff which is simply capable of accepting I2S signals (plus datas, which I think are needed) and convert them to S/Pdif output?

The practical thing would be tap it before DACs of a multichannel player in order to obtain 3 stereo s/pdif outputs.

Sorry for my ignorance in electronics!
Old 13th December 2004, 06:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

SACD and DVD-A Digital Output
Old 13th December 2004, 09:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw
SACD and DVD-A Digital Output
Thanks, but I already knew about this mod: unluckily it's quite expansive, and some cheap player such as Pioneer DV575 perform a DSD to PCM conversion per default, so intercepting I2S signals just beforse DACs will lead to only a I2S to S/pdif conversion, being sure all datas are PCMs.

That's the reason why I'm looking for a s/odif output board only.
Old 13th December 2004, 11:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

High price aside, I don't quite see what your objection to this board is. I would have thought any other board performing the same task would be similar.
Old 14th December 2004, 07:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw
High price aside, I don't quite see what your objection to this board is. I would have thought any other board performing the same task would be similar.
rfbrw,

the board you linked uses a processor for DSD to PCM conversion (while in my case this is not needed because it's already performed by my Pioneed DV575 per default), and this processor is used to monitor incoming signal (look at them to see if they are PCM or DSD).

I have only PCM I2S signals, so I wouldn't like to buy a so expansive device which performs a lot of operation I do not need.
Old 16th December 2004, 05:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

All the general purpose SPDIF boards I've seen (all two of them) do other things as SPDIF on its own is probabaly too small a task to charge much for. It may well be a lot cheaper to build one of your own if all you want just SPDIF out.
Old 16th December 2004, 06:17 PM   #7
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Look at this thread using that IC there is no particular need for the outputs to be optical

Yay! MAudio Revo modded for 3 SPDIF outputs
Old 16th December 2004, 06:45 PM   #8
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/electr/minidisc-spdif/

As you can see it is very simple.

I will be designing a PCB for this chip in the next couple weeks that has jumpers for configuring settings. My existing boards use CS8405a but I need the DIT4096 because of its 512x MCK support.
Old 16th December 2004, 08:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michele Spinolo

rfbrw,

the board you linked uses a processor for DSD to PCM conversion (while in my case this is not needed because it's already performed by my Pioneed DV575 per default), and this processor is used to monitor incoming signal (look at them to see if they are PCM or DSD).

I have only PCM I2S signals, so I wouldn't like to buy a so expansive device which performs a lot of operation I do not need.

If you do consider building something, have a look at the AKM EK4101A. It has 4 spdif outputs.
Old 16th December 2004, 09:08 PM   #10
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

44 pin LQFP ... makes it a very user friendly chip..

Hide this!Advertise here!