Digital delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hopefully some one can help. I have had a look aorund the forum and did not easily find an answer.

I have recently got myself a new Sony CRT TV and am very pleased with it. It does have one large problem. The TV convets the signal to digital and then does various things with it before it displays the image. To compensate for this it also puts a delay on the sound.

This is fine normally but when I use my surround sound amp there is a delay between the sound and the action on the TV :mad: .

So the question is, is there a way I can delay the digital sound signal from the DVD player to the amp to compensate for the picture delay on the TV? Unfortunalty there is no option for this in amp itself (Denon AVC A10SE).

Is there a simple circuit that might do this?

Thanks

James

blu_line said:
Difficult.

Your digital audio signal is a compressed / packed kind of signal.
You realy need to know the details on how to delay this.

Best solution is to delay it when it is decoded to IIS and then delay it before going to the DAC's.
Whats the difference? Delay bit-by-bit all of the SPDIF signal, and you'd have necessary delay. No need to know any details.
The only difficulty is that if you hear the delay, it must be large, and to delay SPDIF for so many milliseconds, you'd need quite a lot of memory.

turn off all the surround effects in the TV and you should be fine. If you are running DVD or VHS sources, just bypass the TV altogether

Decent digital delays used in pro audio are pretty expensive. I just bought one at work to delay audio to match a DV mixer delay (about 3 frames off) and that was $680 (Rane sells 'em, but they are balanced units and probably useless in your setup and cost more than the whole TV I bet ;-))

Peter

piman said:
Hopefully some one can help. I have had a look aorund the forum and did not easily find an answer.

I have recently got myself a new Sony CRT TV and am very pleased with it. It does have one large problem. The TV convets the signal to digital and then does various things with it before it displays the image. To compensate for this it also puts a delay on the sound.

This is fine normally but when I use my surround sound amp there is a delay between the sound and the action on the TV :mad: .

So the question is, is there a way I can delay the digital sound signal from the DVD player to the amp to compensate for the picture delay on the TV? Unfortunalty there is no option for this in amp itself (Denon AVC A10SE).

Is there a simple circuit that might do this?

Thanks

James

It would help if you gave some idea of the amount of delay you need.

Sorry for not responding sooner to your replies (been away in business).

With regard to turning the sound down this is what I usually do but it can sometimes look like an old badly dubbed film as the lip sink can be quite bad some times :D .

I think the delay needs to be anywhere between 10-30ms but I can't be sure.

Thanks

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.