Modifying the Mission DAD5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have an old Mission DAD5 that uses Philips Bitstream conversion. Now I'd like to put my own DA board into it.

How do I modify this player to get to the internal digital signals? Preferably, I'd get in before the S/PDIF generation.

Hope this player has a decent crystal oscillator and power supplies that I can hack into.

Any schematics out there?

Greetings,

Børge

borges said:
Hi,

I have an old Mission DAD5 that uses Philips Bitstream conversion. Now I'd like to put my own DA board into it.

How do I modify this player to get to the internal digital signals? Preferably, I'd get in before the S/PDIF generation.

Hope this player has a decent crystal oscillator and power supplies that I can hack into.

Any schematics out there?

Greetings,

Børge

A little more info on the chipset.

whats gan on said:
saa7321 dac saa7310 decoder

Same chips as Philips CD618/624/634/840/850 and similar to Rotel RCD865/965. QED Digit also used that DAC chip.

It is the first generation bitstream with the filter, dac, and analogue stage in one chip. The chip can be used just as a filter and the final internal opamps can be bypassed....but not the ones used for I/V. It has five 5V power pins.

The decoder is fairly common - found in many CDPs of that time. It is easy to access the I2S between the two chips.....but it would be nice to see someone having a real go at making something with 7321 sound better instead of just bypassing it completely.

Jean-Paul likes this chip and thinks it compares well to some of his TDA1541 machines. KWY hates it mainly because you cannot bypass all of the onboard opamps.

change power supply to the opamps

THE MISSION DAD5
with the opamps replaced with AD826an schottky diodes 11dq10
and pure silver wire bypass the two nikon bp caps creates a lot more life to my player it is so damn musical now with lots more detail. has any one powered the opamps on there own i would love to do that there is a -15 vot reg and a 5v + which i think powers the opamps

Re: change power supply to the opamps

whats gan on said:
THE MISSION DAD5
with the opamps replaced with AD826an schottky diodes 11dq10
and pure silver wire bypass the two nikon bp caps creates a lot more life to my player it is so damn musical now with lots more detail. has any one powered the opamps on there own i would love to do that there is a -15 vot reg and a 5v + which i think powers the opamps

I haven't seen the circuit/schematics of the DAD5....but I would think that the +5V reg powers the DAC chip....and there should be a +15V reg and -15V reg for the opamps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.