NAD C521BEE mods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2004, 08:48 PM   #1
Roeland is offline Roeland  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default NAD C521BEE mods

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I am a student and have a NAD C521BEE cd-player. I already have replaced the clock with a Tentclock. I'd like to mod the player some more now. The cdp now has 5332 opamps (i believe), does it make sense to replace these and what is best to replace them with?
I've also been looking at the LC-Audio ZAPfilter MK2, would this be a good upgrade and if I would purchase this, would there be any upgrades left? Would it in other words, for example, still make sense to replace the opamps after installing a ZAPfilter?

Thnx in Advance,

Roeland
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to feynman1977
i, do you have the service manual of NAD521BEE ? i'm looking for it to do some mods on my nad cd player.

regards
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:54 PM   #3
JeroenR is offline JeroenR  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Roeland,

I had a 521i and wanted to mod but.... these players have a DAC with I/V onboard, this I/V is not the best one around. You will never be able to improve that. Not sure about the 521BEE DAC though.... I ended up selling the 521 and replaced it with a Marantz CD53.

Take a look at http://www.ultranalog.com/, under projects there is a beautifull one for the 541 I/V.

Jeroen
Old 3rd April 2006, 03:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had a 521i and wanted to mod but.... these players have a DAC with I/V onboard, this I/V is not the best one around. You will never be able to improve that. Not sure about the 521BEE DAC though
Yes, the CDP will improve with the mods but up to a point. YOU will have to decide how much to invest on it, but consired that these are decent transports and maybe it will better to invest on a good outboard DAC.

Just for fun I would:
*remove stock PCable and add IEC socket. Construct a good, macho PCable.
*swap most PS and output section caps for Rubicon ZA/ZL.
*Change output opamps for compatible Burr-Brown opamps.
*Separate power supplies for digital and analog sections, and also for ouput section, preferred EI or R-core transformers.
Ideally superregulate digital supply.

BUT, will it worth the effort?? Those are the mods I suggested to my little brother for his player. I would have done it fro free. He trust so much his brother that he sold the player and got some Tascam PRO CDP instead, he, he, he...
I guess he did the wright thing!

Best.
M
Old 28th October 2006, 07:32 AM   #5
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Roeland, did you ever end up getting a ZAPfilter MK2? I just picked up one of these players and am keen to do some mods. I was considering upgrading the OP amps and the output caps, but the ZAP seems like the way to go, especially since it can also do BAL output also.

Derek

Hide this!Advertise here!