SHARC EZ-KIT Lite experiments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to use this thread for a general discussion of the audio applications of the Analog Devices EZ-KIT Lite evaluation board. The 21262 board has many interesting audio applications, as does the upcoming 21364 eval board. The 21262 exposes a 20-pin header with access to the Digital Audio Interface of the Sharc DSP. (In fact, every pin of the entire DSP is exposed, but on a less-convenient daughterboard connector on the bottom). There is enough functionality here to make a 2-way or 3-way digital crossover, and perhaps even enough cycles leftover to do room correction. For experimental purposes, there's enough hardware included for a digital-in, analog-out 2-way stereo digital crossover.

The EZ-KIT comes with its own copy of VisualDSP for Windows. The possibilities seem pretty wide open.

Heheh, oh boy!

The EZ-Kit is $495, which compares favorably with, for example, $15,000 processor cards for Meridian DSPs.

A similar product is made by these guys, but without any included analog I/O abilities:

http://www.danvillesignal.com/index.php?id=products_dspstak

You could add the analog I/O with their c192k22 expansion module, but then you're spending up to $600 without getting any software development tools in the deal.

jwb said:
I nearly forgot to mention Danville Signal also provides a 2-in, 4-out S/PDIF daughterboard for multichannel or crossover applications, but I can't imagine this being of any use. How could you keep 2 S/PDIF streams synchronized?

The same way one keeps a multichannel AD in sync. You run the receivers as slaves and sync them to a common clock.

JWB,

Have you seen the D2audio XRS modules? They do not have the flexibility to do anything complex, like FIR filters, but they have a complete feature set as far as mixer, crossovers, delay, and EQ, and include the digital power amp as well.

Send me an email, ttt at ani-dian.com if you'd like to discuss. (remove the "-")

I don't have any relationship with D2audio, but I was very impressed with the datasheet and the pricing.

tiroth,

these modules are really interesting especially due to the possible customisation.
I couldn`t find any prices on the D2Audio homepage. As you seem to have informations about the pricing could you post them or send me a mail?
Are the modules available for private customers or only the OEM?

_______
illusionxx

Their North American sales rep told me they plan to offer 1-99 unit quantities sometime in 1Q2005. I don't think the pricing info is public information, but you can probably get it from the sales rep--it is very reasonable in my opinion. Far south of the demo boards being discussed here.

I am almost certainly going to get one when available for testing--if the SQ is good, this could be the missing link in an all-digital reproduction chain. It wouldn't be hard to put together an interface for programming from the computer, and volume control via PIC or similar.

A similar unit, the XRT, is being used in the Harman-Kardon DPR-1005/2005 recievers...

The D2 units are analog-in, aren't they?

The Sharc EZ-Kit would be a very good match to the TI Equibit Eval board. It runs about $500 as well, and takes 3 pairs of I2S input to drive the 6 channels of amp. Hook up a pot to the EZ-Kit to do internal volume control, run the Equibit board from SLA batteries and you'd have a very very nice all-digital setup for about $1k.

If I had this thing, I wouldn't have any more fun designing and building DACs. Dammit.

The D2Audio products do look quite interesting but they don't have digital output ability, only power output. One does have to wonder why I need 192kHz recordings if I only have a 20kHz power amplifier (the Krell I'm working on now responds well above 100kHz).

You can't argue with 93% efficiency, I'll grant you.

So what's the XRS? There's no product by that name on the d2audio.com website.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.