jitter and noise performance of 74xx AC and VHC series?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

What is the main difference between the 74xx AC and VHC series, especially in terms of jitter and noise performance?

I went through some of the datasheets (74AC161/74VHC161, Fairchild), I am unable to find any relevent info, can someone help?

Which series, VHC or AC, has better jitter and noise performance?

Thanks

PW:bigeyes:

inverter Toshiba 74HCU04

I had very good sonic result using better filter (L 10uh) and decoupling (lots of smd 805 cg0 and x7r) of this chip for clock in pd75/65 player. Only a few tweaks have been sonic better; as lowering pll.

I am no expert but as I understand it this inverter has low psrr, and is often used without enough "speed" in decoupling (also groundbounce) -> jitter.

Se this - it is in danish - but go to:
"Optimering nr. 4. – Jitter optimering"

http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6730&KW=optimer

As a general rule, use only the nessesary speed. A rise time of 4ns is only nessesary if signal travels for longer distance.

In general, 74AC devices produce more supply-rail noise than VHC ones, so this may translate into jitter problems. (Although having said that, modern 74AC parts seem to be a lot quieter than the earlier ones).

If you are using 3.3V rails, then 74LVC or 74LCX parts work very well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.