PCM 63 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone out there have any suggested mods to this grand old lady of good sounding DAC's?

I have spent some time modding the 1 bit saa7350 and the bass performance is incredible-tight, deep, detailed. However, the DAC still does not have that magic in the mids....

PCM 63

Apparently these DAC's can be paralleled. Anyone try this yet?

Also, can anyone suggest a source for these DAC's.

Kuei Yang Wang-I have seen suggestions by you in other forums that, if correctly implented, the PCM63 is up there with the best (TDA1541). Any ideas on what these optimising steps are?

Thanks for any advice.
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

This is Guido Tent and friends' DAC:

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dactop.htm

Lots of good info on implementing the PCM63 there.

With the '63, transitions occurs on the wordclock, so it's useful to use a latch to re-clock it. Apart fromt that, make sure it has a clean PS and a high quality IV stage - you shouldn't need more than a simple RC filter at the output.

Good luck!

Dan

If I remember well my old Stax CDP quattro “mechanically dead” (Yamaha drive) but with a wonderful naturally sound and an astonishing liveness… use that chip or maybe it was a PCM56 ??? I don’t remember well because the Yamaha drive has one (or 2? PCM56) and the separate converter PCM63 ? as it is now somewhere in my country house…
And I have 2 PCM63 that lies in my workshop…
So I am interested too, in more info on a this DAC, with an updated circuitry around it.

Konnichiwa,

Dr.H said:
Anyone out there have any suggested mods to this grand old lady of good sounding DAC's?

Disconnect the offset current compensation, this means the output current becomes 0/+4mA instead of +/-2mA. It means you cannot apply as high a value I/V conversion resistor.

It comes next of course, convert the DAC to passive IV or use one of the various transconductance type I/V's discussed, solid state or valve analogue stages as you like.

Remeber, DAC Chips are microphonic and have limited (VERY LIMITED) PSRR, so sullpies are crucial, also remember that the DAC's output current is impressed on some of the PSU Pin's Usually the analogue supply.

Lastly, reclock LE.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.