Marantz CD-7 + XO2 clock and XO Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found some pics of MARANTZ SACD player SA1 I modified last year. Unfortunately, customer wanted to pay only for Black Gates and silver ribbons. The result was very good. Sound was good as well

Nick

Attachments

• dsc00004.jpg
    dsc00004.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 385
Hi All,

It is not that i am not experienced in soldering, even with SMD (i modded an athlon processor with smd tech, and it still works ;-) )
But this being a beauty of a player, i don't want to haste it.

So all considered, everybody agrees on cutting line 23 and feeding the clock to the cutted section?

Kind regards
Ramon

I did it!!!!!

Thank you all for pitching in. I went with the option to cut line 23 and leave the old clock (33,868MHz) in its place.

I cut 23 and measured infinite resistance just to be sure.
I hooked op the + from the clock to line 23 at the intersection.

I hooked up - or ground from the clock to the rear of the pcb, near ground connection of the IC Q324. Measured if all checked out.

Then put back clock copper shielding.

Drilled the holes for both XO Supply and XO2 Clock and mounted them at the bottom coper carrier for the top PCB. There are mounted firmly.

I then connected XO2 with XO supply.

Then I ran a speakerwire as 230volt-line from powerinput directly to the XO Supply.

Screwed the player back together.

Now i started to sweat and pump adrenaline.
First hooked up the player with the switch on 20/18 bit ergo the 36MHz clock that was still intact. It powered up, spinned, and played.

Shut it down an flipped the switch back to 16bit. It powered up, spinned, and played!!!!!!!

Now it is time for bed. I will keep you al posted on the sonic results.

Thanks again guys!!!!!

Extreme_Boky said:
I found some pics of MARANTZ SACD player SA1 I modified last year. Unfortunately, customer wanted to pay only for Black Gates and silver ribbons. The result was very good. Sound was good as well

Nick

Excuse me, but why should a few inches of wire be silver ribbons if there are tenth of inches of odd copper pcb traces after the dac chips inside the player ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.