Please Explain PCM to DSD format...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgive me if this has been explained before, but I can't find it.
Here is the direct quote from the review article:
"The (Sharp) SD-EX111 samples the audio signal at a very high rate of 5.6MHz using a 7th-order delta sigma modulation A/D converter. The sampled data is converted to the same DSD format used for SACD. The converted data is then sent to the 1-bit digital amplifier, which results in a great sound..."
http://www.laaudiofile.com/sdex111.html
Is this true? Is the sound quality better, or is this just more audio mumbo jumbo?
I was looking at the Sharp One-Bit systems as a present for my niece in college. They are all in the same series, but I don't think they have the same topology? They are the Sharp SD-EX111, 200, and 220. Only the first one samples at the higher rate.

Or has TriPath, ICE, and others developed better digital sound strategies than Sharp's technology?
I wrote to Sharp asking if this is true and if it is also used in the
other two units in the same series, but I don't expect to ever receive an answer from them.
Thanks for any links, leads, or explanations.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

:xeye:

The quoted statement seems to mean that all signal, even PCM-based digital audio signal is DA-converted, and then converted to DSD through DSD A/D. If that's right, it is one of the most stupid thing being done on DSD-pros I have seen. Basically DSD is inferior to PCM as a signal storage format, and at even class-D amplification side, DSD or PDM is inferior to PWM, IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.