Kwak Clock 7 Parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the list of parts I'm building, but there are some components available from 4 companies at the time sometimes, I'd like to know what are the best.

Partslist KWAK-CLOCK-7 with low noise regulators |Mfg Part#* |USD
1 resistor 47 Ohm metalfilm vishay/dale-xicon?
1 resistor 1k “
2 resistor 820 ohm “
2 resistor 2.7 k “
1 resistor 21.5 k “
3 resistor 27k “
1 resistor 100k “
1 resistor 10M “
1 pot 2k Spectrol type 64W 064W202 2.00x1
1 cap ceramic NPO 39 pF (marked 39) AVX/Xicon/NTE/Kemet?
1 cap ceramic NPO 68 pF (marked 68) AVX/Xicon/NTE/Mallory?
2 cap ceramic disc 0.01 µF (marked 103) AVX 10nF
8 cap ceramic 0.1 µF (marked 104) AVX/Xicon 100nF?
1 cap ceramic NPO 100pF (marked 100) AVX/Mallory/Xicon?
2 electrolytic cap 2200µF; 16V Vishay[Sprague/Roeder]/Wima/Panasonic?
2 cap 1µF polypropylene Vishay/Wima/Xicon?
2 inductor 2.2 mH (marked NEOSID 2,2k) RF chokes[fastron]-n/a[Vishay]?
1 FET J309 J309 0.42x1
1 IC AD8561AN AD8561AN(DigiKey) 5.70x1
1 transistor BC550C BC550CTA 0.06x1
1 transistor BC560C BC560CTA 0.06x1
2 IC LM431 TO-92 ? - NJR/? DIP-8?
3 ferrite bead BLM31AJ601SN1L 0.25x3
1 PCB ?Breadboard?(Local store or other)

*Can be found at Mouser if not specified

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The only parts I would have a particular issue with are ones that carry the NTE brand - you never know whether what you are getting is what you think you should be getting.. For ceramic caps AVX, Xicon, and Kemet are all fine, perhaps look at the DA and impedances and choose one with the highest self resonance if given otherwise lowest ESL/ESR or both if provided.

Resistors, sprague, roederstein, vishay all made by divisions of vishay and all are good - probably buy on price.

Electrolytics oscons obviously, if too expensive look for a type designed for RF applications/ low impedance. I used tantalums in my clock, have yet to see whether that is a regretable decision.

Choosing smd parts can be difficult - I use the above criteria, cost and minimum buy quantities to decide which I will use.

Pcb quality and layout is tremendously important to the result. I recommend you lay out a pcb using expresspcb or similar - expresspcb will run less than $60 USD for miniboard service including shipping for the 3 resulting pcb, .. I use them all the time - http://www.expresspcb.com

What? The comparator dies at 14V! Are you really that confused?
16v, to feed the 341 s.

Nothing in the Kwak clock runs on 120V, I think that comparator ic should not be run at much over +/- 5V for reliability. Standard 50V ceramics are fine. Do not use 50V parts on the line side of the power supply!

I was asking for ceramics in the PSU.
Are there some before it?

And for the 431s, there are some TO92 and some DIP-8, which ones should I use?

Hey, who deleted my Excel list I had practically completed, it took me 1/30 (2 hours) of my dialup time to search for them.

I'm gonna note here some of the things I changed in the list:
-Resistors: Xicon 1% part no.: 271-nb of ohms, minimum 10 at the time.
-Resistors: Can't find 10MOhm.
-Minimum nb. of parts column.
-Still can't find poly cap(Mouser search engine have problems with: µF & uF and 0.01, 0.1 & 1 are all the same).

Answers in Orangered

DragonMaster said:
And for the 431s, there are some TO92 and some DIP-8, which ones should I use?
I always use the TO-92 case. LM431's will also work.
Hey, who deleted my Excel list I had practically completed, it took me 1/30 (2 hours) of my dialup time to search for them. Not me.

I'm gonna note here some of the things I changed in the list:
-Resistors: Xicon 1% part no.: 271-nb of ohms, minimum 10 at the time.
-Resistors: Can't find 10MOhm.
You can use two 5M in series, or simply 1M.
-Minimum nb. of parts column.
-Still can't find poly cap(Mouser search engine have problems with: µF & uF and 0.01, 0.1 & 1 are all the same).
All parts can be obtained from Farnell.
www.farnell.com

What the heck is the problem, a site tells every 45MHz crystals are 15MHz ones on 3rd overtone, and an other makes monolithic 45MHz(And I can order samples from them).

http://www.ilsiamerica.com/C-monolithic_filter/mcf_p46.htm

And they're talking about Alcatel, the supposed really good DSL modems. I think I even saw ILSI somewhere.

I don't want to stop using the OLD Pulse DAC, since it sounds better than the DACs in my Sony :dodgy: Receiver, and the one with integrated D/F in my Sony :dodgy: CDP-XE300.

Damn, they're advertising their PULSE DACs that sound worse and worse.

Note: I STILL[/] haven't removed the D/F of the CDP I want to mod because it separates the L and R chan (I think, the R chan passes in a 7404 after, maybe it's just 2 same outputs). (Sony :dodgy: CXD2554)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.