Questions for CD player mods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2004, 07:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Questions for CD player mods

Sony CDP-295
-I read somewhere here:
-someone put some 74xx somewhere in the I2S from his CDP to prevent jitter.
-some prefer removing the digital filter, but mine(CXD2554) separates left and right data.
-after the DFilter, I got a 7400 with the R chan data passing in it.
-should I try putting an other clock, with it's own regulator(what if it's not a 78xx?)? I have a 2-pin Asahi 14MHz crystal in it.
-as for the CXD2552Q 1-bit pulse DAC, I continue using it, or I put something else?
-Should I change opamps if the dac is still worth using or not(two TL072)?
-As for separate PSUs for DAC, clock or output, is it worth trying?
-should I remove/change output caps on the output if there's a (sony)D/F?(The thing has ELNA caps everywhere, except pickup which has nichia)
-I don't think I should replace the 10000F elna in the PSU, do you think the same?
-I put an SPDIF out, should I resolder the cooper wire to the nearest point I can, or keep using the 20cm of board traces?

CDP-295 Notes:
-I already removed the mute transistors(Now nothing mutes it).
-The DAC is surface mount with REALLY small pins(44).
-As you might have noticed, it has a L data and R data separate input.
-The DAC has + and - outputs for each channels, can output balanced.
-The CD player has ELNA caps, not nichia like my 1998 CDP-313 & XE300, with everything surface mounted on the front panel.
-Uses a KSS-240A pickup.

CDP-XE300 player:
-Is it worth buying a new KSS-213B pickup(Mine is dead) if I use a drive assy. from a CDP-313 player I don't use that has a KSS-240A pickup?
-The 213F has a dust door shuting over the lens when not used, but seems to last 1 year from what I read(D,E and F).
-Which 213 model? A, B, C, D, E, F, Q, R or V?
-If I put a COAX out, do I solder a TR-64 wire from the drive assy. to a RCA jack?
Old 13th November 2004, 03:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Output caps question : I SHUT my mouth.
I tried it on the XE300; replaced 100F polarised by jumper wires
Old 13th November 2004, 08:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I bypassed the 100F caps in the 295 too, BIG difference, this one has an headphones plug, so I can try with something other than PA Traynor speakers. I cannot try with different CDs, since mine are at my mother's house, so I try some of my father's tape backups or CDs based on MP3s.

Note I'm still messed up it's not a 7400, but a simple Toshiba 7404 hex inverter.

I now think the Sony Pulse DACs are not as bad as people told : People tell Pulse DAC is more harsh than an other, but when they compare they don't use the same preamp.(It's what I think. The supposed good uses a good preamp, the supposed bad uses a crappy RC4558/TL0x2 preamp with crappy caps and mute transistors )

Note: It's like those studies who forgot some points , like telling the Campbell's V8 tomato juice is so thick a flat cut celery is holding upright in it. Yeah , but it holds upright if you put it on any flat surface.

Hehe, smilies . . .

Hide this!Advertise here!