Sony SCD-XB940 - Tweaked

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have tweaked my Sony SACD/CD player. It’s is originally a nice sounding cd player with good build quality. However it can be a bit ”tiring” to listen to. The player is also very light so it doesn’t feel all convincing. I decided to tweak the player and this is what I have done.

1) I have changed the op amps from BB OPA 2132 to BB OPA 2604. I prefer the sound from the OPA 2604, even though the OPA2132 is a good op amp.

2) Over the op amps (pin 4 & 8) I have mounted a combination of a tantal-capacitor and a Wima polyester/metal capacitor.

3) I have mounted Wima polyester/metal capacitors over the electrolyte capacitors in the power supply and analogue circuit, that weren’t bypassed.

4) The digital output is ”turned off” with a RCA plug with a 75 ohm resistor.

5) The drive is shielded with a copper shield.

6) The crystal is damped with blue pad.

7) The box is damped with heavy bitumen on all sides, top and bottom. There is bitumen on the drive as well.

8) I have mounted a socket with a net filter so that I can use a better power cable.

That’s it for the moment. After my tweaks the player sounds more relaxed and not tiring. The bass I deeper and more defined. In my opinion this tweak was a success.

You need an balanced output buffer.

D/A chips are balanced. BB op amps in this sacd are the I/V converters.
Pin reference of these op amps are:
1 - out *
2 - in *
3 - gnd
4 - vcc
5 - gnd
6 - in*
7 - out*
8 - vcc

*correct phase of these inputs and outputs can be obtained experimentally
· at this points the output buffers inside sacd xb940 converts the signal into unbalanced.
· If you want to take signal balanced from BB I/V converters you still need a buffer … Balanced!
Stefano

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.