Aragon D2A upgrade path? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2011, 05:08 PM   #61
hihopes is offline hihopes  South Africa
diyAudio Member

The simplest way to "tune" it is to experiment with the output DC blocking caps. Made a big difference in mine (when I was still using it).

I had the mkII upgrade in mine. It was merely a pair of complementary j-fets per channel and supporting resistors. 2sk147 and 2sj (can't remember that number any more maybe 74?)

I did a lot of playing around in the poer supply (I had the original power supply - a triangular box) Black gates and HQ bypass caps made the best improvements IRC>

Last edited by hihopes; 7th July 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10th July 2011, 05:42 AM   #62
Scabiko is offline Scabiko  Argentina
diyAudio Member

hihopes (maybe you´re Pink FLoyd´s fan? does this question ring a "division bell"?), I played with the power supply . Changed 1500uf caps to 4700uf (sprague) and 470uf to 2200uf nichicon audio grade and high speed diodes. I am very hapy with the results. In addition, the Aragon 4004 mk2 is gorgeous. By the way, what brand of caps did you use to replace signal caps (10uf)? Thank you again.
Old 11th July 2011, 06:22 PM   #63
hihopes is offline hihopes  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I tried so many output caps I can no longer remember what I ended up with, but I definitely had more than 1 cap per side there. I tried some high-voltage polyprops; I tried some Black Gate electrolytics (BTW, don't bother with their bi-polar series. I have tried them in many different positions and have always found the standard series better.) I did final bypassing with small value teflons. Perhaps I even had .22uF Russian teflons in there by the end of my experiments. You really have to try various options and see what works - but those 100v 10uF caps I had in there originally were some of the poorest polyprops I ever heard.

If I were to walk that road today, I would start out with Claritycap SA or Obbligatos, as big a value as will physically fit there (Don't think a 10uF would make it - maybe 4,7uF) bypassed with teflons. If the sound proved to be a bit too bright I would add good quality electrolytics eg Black Gate std series or your own current favourites. Then let that all run in before making any further adjustments. If you feel you want to cut treble, try small Russian PIO caps, but be careful - they are not subtle. I have tried some Mundorfs - silver and gold models - but have always found them a bit harsh in the signal path.

I also went to town with dedicated regulators for various parts of the digital board. Shoved them in wherever I could. I would suggest you look up the Teddyregs or try shunt regs if you want to go this route.

Hope this helps.

Personally, I have long since lost interest in my Aragon D2A. Many cheap modern DACS blow it away (NB:- not the overhyped and overpriced Benchmark - at least not in my system)
Old 11th July 2011, 08:43 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

hihopes, thank you again. I´ll try. I feel a little reluctant to open it but I think I have no choice. Best regards.
Old 11th July 2011, 09:33 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Great info!

I have a cheap, modern DAC and hope it will do well; however I was thinking the output transformers I purchased for that might work well to make similar improvements to the D2A...
Old 6th December 2012, 12:04 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

this thread is way old. if you can, i am interested in the ebay dac you mentioned. I searched the id number but it isnt for sale currently- is there a replacement you'd recommend?

Jim, can i ask, in the end was the ebay dac better than the aragon to your ears?

Also, i too have a d2a mk2 with ips. Was thinking to mod, so appreciate your tips!

thanks,

Perry
Old 6th December 2012, 12:21 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

I still haven't built up my eBay DAC so I'm stil using my D2A in stock trim.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:54 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply! I feel your pain- Im new to diy and am already stalled on my first project , an armaggedon clone. It sits here half built, for almost a year. Ill hopefully tinker with it this winter.

thanks though. Is that dac kit still for sale, or is there a comparable one? I see plenty there but dont want to waste money on a dud.
Old 12th June 2013, 09:43 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Dear Hihopes, It's been a long time since discuccing on this post. I still have the old aragon d2a. If you have the time, I would like to ask you what happens if I remove the coupling capacitors (big whites ones , 10uf) in the signal path and use it without caps. have you ever tried this? I know it works in another dacs but not sure about this one. Please advise. Best regards.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:36 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Default blowed j-fet in my D2A....need schematic

Hi,
unfortunately, I have blowed my j-fets on my belowed Aagon D2a dac.

I need schematic of the output analogue stage only ( after the dacs CHIPS) plus PSU, if possible.

Anyone can help me?

P.S.: I have asked to new come back Aragion technical support, but no response at all....

Thanks for reading

Paolo
Venezia Italy

PHASELESS HIGH END , LOW COST , SPEAKERS ( personalized into the client's system/room)

Hide this!Advertise here!