Aragon D2A upgrade path? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2011, 12:08 AM   #51
Scabiko is offline Scabiko  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Dr Dyna, I am speechless!! Thank you very much for the pictures. This is the ONLY information on the MK2 modification available in the entire web! I noticed that your DAC has the yellow 10k caps that I also have in my mk1 and in my acurus ls-11. In other pictures, I saw Mk2 with a thicker ones (probably of the same value). Aso liked V. Wooten. Jim, I like "somewhere down that crazy river" form the same album. K Jarret (STandards) is very smooth in the d2a. I just bought for digital signal (i) Mit and (ii) Van del Hul 310 (silver) and both are great, with a larger stage with the VDL. ...FOr sure I am going to keep this dac for a while. YOu may not believe this but I made for inteconnection a CAT5 cable that is very nice and detailed....Best regards.Sebastian.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:29 PM   #52
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabiko View Post
Dr Dyna, I am speechless!! Thank you very much for the pictures. This is the ONLY information on the MK2 modification available in the entire web!
Very welcome sir, if there's anything else you need to know about it's guts, let me know, I've still only got one screw in the top.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:01 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

So, to clarify, which caps in the photo are the ones 'in question' with regards to being in the signal path?

Second question: How about using output transformers rather than op-amps in the output? This made a HIGE improvement in the eBay DACs; I have to imagine it can benefit this DAC as well, no? If so, how would it be implimented?

Power regulation is a big deal as well- any ideas on improvements here?
Old 14th June 2011, 06:05 PM   #54
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Leach View Post
So, to clarify, which caps in the photo are the ones 'in question' with regards to being in the signal path?

Second question: How about using output transformers rather than op-amps in the output? This made a HIGE improvement in the eBay DACs; I have to imagine it can benefit this DAC as well, no? If so, how would it be implimented?

Power regulation is a big deal as well- any ideas on improvements here?
The big white one, I suspect is the output coupling cap, it's in series with the output. It doesn't "look" like a bad quality cap, but 10uF caps are easy to come by so it wouldn't hurt anything to swap it out.

Using a different output stage altogether would probably be fairly easy to implement, they were nice enough to put the output stage and DAC section on different boards with their own marked L and R leads. Actually, both of the boards are labeled at all their I/O points. It would probably be easy as pie to lampizate or hit it with a Welborne DTO.

The power supply as far as I can tell is pretty simple, +24vdc, -24vdc and ground. Quality is up to however much we felt like spending on it I would imagine. Hell, you could probably go all Jeff Rowland on it and slap a couple of car batteries on it
Old 14th June 2011, 06:44 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Sounds good. I'll have to crack mine open and see what I can see. I'd like to try the output transformers (which would provide a balanced output for the D2A at that point as well) as they seem to be a HUGE improvement over the op-amps of the eBay DACs.

As to the power supply, the entire circuit uses just one supply? No clock supply and converter supply (for example) simply joining on the same supply rail? I think that (separating everything onto its own regulated supply) is the 'key' to opening up the converter from what I gather on the eBay DAC mods...
Old 17th June 2011, 07:30 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

I am attaching the schematics of (i) the 24 k ingot power supply and (ii) the regular power supply, just in case you donīt have them. I made the second one with befier capacitors as I bough my d2a without the original power supply. In the power supply you may also "play" with capacitors in order to improve bass. Are you sure that a stage with opamps are better than in our d2a? Strangely, the dacs I like more do not use opamps in the output. I maybe getting deaf, but I found that without opamps, the sound seems to be more analogue (on comparable dacs). Did any of you tried different cables on the spdif and on the analogue signal? I did. Regards, Sebastian.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 24k power supply.bmp (160.1 KB, 46 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IDLK-19 PS[1].pdf (37.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 17th June 2011, 07:37 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

I don't know WHAT's in the D2A just commenting that bypassing op amps in the eBay DAC has shown serious improvement.

I have a pair of Lundahls now (for the eBay DAC) but I could 're-purpose' them to the old D2A too...

So, you are agreeing with me that not using opamps is the way to go.
Old 17th June 2011, 07:45 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Absolutely! If you have one handy (or a friend), please listen to the original Theta dsp pro with a good transport. I friend of mine bought one and it is gorgeous! No opamps on the output stage......
Old 17th June 2011, 08:07 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

I use the Theta Data Basic as a transport into the D2A currently...

A Theta DAC would be a nice addition!
Old 4th July 2011, 04:29 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

I am back with an additional question. I just replaced an acurus a150/ls-11 with a Aragon 4004 mk2. I connected it directly with a passive potentiometer to the d2a and the bass is not controlled. I am back to the original question: is there any way to "tighten" the bass on the original d2a? I tried psu but still boomy. Once again, Thank you.

Hide this!Advertise here!