Aragon D2A upgrade path? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2010, 01:57 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

just an update:

I ordered the board last week with the R-core transformer.

Where's a good place to get some decent enclosures? I am planning to keep the transformer separate in a small box and the rest in a 19" wide (face) box.

Front panel express looks good (great in fact), but a bit pricey for one piece... I may well go with them, but I'm looking for alternatives right now...
Old 16th February 2010, 02:20 PM   #22
RIP

If you don't mind a more spartan look check out Parmetal. I'm using a 12 x 12 x 3 with brushed alum front panel, tons of room for everything. They are very well made but not flashy.
Old 16th February 2010, 03:09 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Bill!

I'll check them now...

I'm there now.. Loks good!

I think the EMI/RFI shielded enclosure is the way to go for this piece.

With the transformers in place (as I am planning to go that route like you did) do ou think it can squeeze into 1 rack space, or do you think I should get a 2-space high enclosure?

Last edited by Jim Leach; 16th February 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 16th February 2010, 05:02 PM   #24
RIP

One rack space won't do it,the board won't even fit.
Old 16th February 2010, 05:29 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Cool. 2 spaces then. Thanks for that!

I did not see any 'small' enclosures (suitable for the transformer alone) from Parmetal. Do you have another source for a smaller enclosure?

Thanks again Bill!
Old 18th February 2010, 04:33 PM   #26
RIP

Hammond probably makes something.
Old 18th February 2010, 04:56 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Good call, Bill.

I'll look into that.

By the way, I got my shipping notification... It's on the way!
Old 18th August 2010, 02:18 PM   #28
Scabiko is offline Scabiko  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default Aragon d2a help please!

This is my first post. I bought a DAC Aragon d2a (original series - non mk2), without the ips. As users of this dac know, the bass is not very controlled. that´s why Aragon implemented changes shown in the mk2 version. I an looking for the service manual or schematic of the mk2 version, or at least I would like to know the value of the two large capacitors (actually, the 2 largest ones) placed inside the unit. Any recommendations on possible mods are highly welcomed. I have upgraded the Ips. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Old 18th August 2010, 02:42 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I (finaly) found a stock power supply for my 47k (same supply as the D2A, which I also have).

Anyway, also interested in what ever upgrades exist for the D2A. I was never dissapointed with it, but it is quite dated at this point.

I think I have another post asking this (could be wrong) but it may be worth searching to see what shakes out...
Old 18th August 2010, 06:29 PM   #30
hihopes is offline hihopes  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Which capacitors are you referring to? The two on the psu board or the output caps?
My D2A had a jfet output stage with 2sk149 and sj74 if I remember correctly. I think it was a buffer stage. It was part of an upgrade kit that was retrofitted.
I found benefit in changing the output caps. The ones that were fitted in mine were 10uf polyprop caps but were not very good ones. You can definitely tighten up the bass by using better ones.
Other improvements were found by fitting discrete regulators and by using good quality bypass caps (oscons). For discrete regulators, you might like to try the "teddyreg" design. I also soldered small oscons directly to the relevant pins on the dac chip. (Download the datasheet and check which legs and which polarity they are)
If you can find another one, you can try piggy-backing the dac chip. I was going to do that, but struggled to get hold of another.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
William.

Hide this!Advertise here!