need help - cdp spin no more after kwak clock installation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

installed elso kwak clock (with pcb) but cd player (marantz cd63se) wouldn't spin now.

on the few occasions it does spin it behaves strangely.
it goes clockwise for a while then anti-clockwise.
or spins very fast.
or spins very slowly.

"googled" and read that its probably due to the cdp not receiving the clock.
i've tried both the original crystal and a new one to no avail.

need some debugging tips.

thanks.

KC not working

Hello atenolol50,
First if you have a scope check if the clock is working. Did you adjust the duty cycle? Do you have +/-5V at the output of the regulators?
If you have no clock-signal check if you have a clock signal at the source of the FET. If not, you probably have fried the FET.
I advice connecting the ground of the clock PCB to the ground of the CDP PCB. One end of the two small caps attached to the original crystal was connected to ground. You can use that pad.
The clock output must be connected with one single wire to the players PCB. I do not advice twisted wires or coax!
If nothing works bring the player back to original state and check if it works now.
BTW I have sent you an email but I got no reply from you.............:confused:
:bawling::bawling: :bawling:
Very strange.............:att'n:
:bawling:
Edit:
I now did receive your email and I learned you have built version 6. Some players do not like the large caps notably Sony and CEC. Replace the 12000µF caps by a Oscon not larger than 220µF or a 47µF tantalum or 1 µF polypropylene.:cool:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Of course not, I use coax ( or twisted pair ) with *every* CLOCK I lay my hands on. The "single wire" method has the advantage that ground loops can not occur but I prefer both other methods with a separate supply. Galvanic separated that is, with a separate transformer and all.

BTW this discussion will not help the guy that wants to repair his cdplayer. I think he has a true failure and not a cdplayer that suffers from "twisted pair". ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.