Mods: Digital Filter, 74xx, clock, DAC, dac/opamp psu, opamps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a Sony CDP-295.
I read somewhere here:

- someone put some 74xx somewhere in the I2S from his CDP to prevent jitter.

-some prefer removing the digital filter, but mine separates left and right data.

-after the DFilter, I got a 7435(?) with the R chan data passing in it.

-should I try putting an other clock, with it's own regulator(what if it's not a 7812?)? I have a 2-pin Asahi 14MHz crystal in it.

-as for the pulse(Maybe not, CDP dates from 1991) DAC, I continue using it, or I put something else?

-Should I change opamps if the dac is still worth using or not(two TL072)?

-As for separate PSUs for DAC, clock or output, is it worth trying?

Should i try some of these?

Notes:
-I already removed the mute transistors.
-The DAC is surface mount with REALLY small pins.
-As you might have noticed, it has a L data and R data separate input.
-The DAC has + and - outputs for each channels, can output balanced.
-The CD player has ELNA caps, not nichia like my 1998 CDP-395, with everything surface mounted on the front panel.

Also, I got a CDP-5xx that skips, have reading problems and acts strange. The cool thing with it is the ease of modification like the 295 and the trackchange button(turn it 1/4 turn, 15 tracks after.

I don't remember for the digital filter but for the DAC, it's the CDX2552Q, 44-pin 1-bit PLM Pulse DAC.
As for the player I was calling CDP-5xx, it's a CDP-XE300. I just plugged it , after being about one year under my bed :D . It distorted, and faded in and out constantly, got up the laser power a bit, it stopped, then restarted, then got up the power a bit. After played fine until it re-started to skip 3-secs at the time and then "no disc". Power off, on, laser trying to read, "no disc" . . .

This problem seems to happen after maybe 1/2 hour of playing after being unplugged for a long time.

XE300:
I'm mixed up in numbers, it's not a CDP-395, but a CDP-313(I have a CDP295, 313 and XE300). I don't like the 313 that much: it has the poorest front panel between the 3 CDPs, and has a double-sided board in the front panel as mainboard(The two others have a single sided mainboard, on the bottom of the case). So I opened it, and looked at the bus wire :) going to the drive assy. : the wires were compatible; connection and pinout, so I exchanged the drive assy. of the XE300 with an older version, the one in the 313(Same thing, except board and pickup). Works perfectly, except that the 313 now works bad. Is it worth buying a new KSS-213B pickup or not(Also, is one between 213A, B, C, D, E, F, R or V preferable)?

Cleaning UNDER the lens seem to have fixed some problems(The bad working drive assy.), but it still reads bad. The XE300 drive assy. isn't backward compatible with the 313 but the 313 works in the XE300 as you read.

CDP-295:
Some other questions, should I remove output caps on the output if there's a (sony)D/F?(The thing has ELNA caps everywhere, except pickup which has nichia).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.