Good 5V psu @ 200mA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2004, 04:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Good 5V psu @ 200mA

Hi,

Need help for a schematic of a good +5V power supply capable of sustaining 200mA load to be used for my USB to SPDIF convertor. Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Joe Ling
Malaysia
Old 3rd November 2004, 08:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply

This is nothing worth building. In several places I use left over cell phone chargers. Many phones, like some Samsung models, the charger is really a 5V 1000mA regulated switching power supply. People who have lost their phone or had their phone die on them give me their chargers so I get a good number of these. Put out the word at work or school you are collecting these for recycling.

Otherwise, get a 6V DC wall wart and connect it through a 7805 3 terminal regulator. Bolt it to some metal to dissipate the heat.
Old 4th November 2004, 05:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

dmfraser wrote
Quote:
get a 6V DC wall wart and connect it through a 7805 3 terminal regulator.
will not work. Intead put 2/3 diodes in series to drop the excess.

Instead get a 9V DC wall wart and...

will work.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 4th November 2004, 09:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I am kind of looking of low noise audio grade power supply. Something a little better than the 3 terminal voltage regulators. Thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 4th November 2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Banned

Default What is good???

Joe,
I am struggling with the same question, and on my list are from easy/cheap to complex/expensive
- AN8005 (Peter Daniel reported good results with this regulator)
- Reg101-5
- ALW regulator

Henk
Old 4th November 2004, 11:04 AM   #6
roibm is offline roibm  Romania
Banned

Default Re: What is good???

Quote:
Originally posted by Calimero
I am struggling with the same question, and on my list are from easy/cheap to complex/expensive
Is that list a wish list or it reflects what you already tested?
Old 4th November 2004, 12:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

How about this one ? Will it satisfy the 200mA requirement ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeroalim1.jpg (32.0 KB, 475 views)
Old 4th November 2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Banned

Roibm,
I have no experience with AN8005 (They are as far as I know only available via Digkey, and they have high initial order costs so ordering 10 pieces raises their costs to an unexceptable level).

I have reg101-5 planned for the analog supply of my CS8412 (which is now based on TL431 and oscon decoupling).

I have experience with the ALW-regs. They replace the LM317/337 based supply in the I/V and output stage in my DAC. The improvements were astonishing. Which indicated to me that the ALW-reg is much much better that the LM317/337 (not so strange because that is why it has been designed).

I am not experienced enough to tell you where (in which position) to use what type of 'power supply'.
I have used the ALW reg (5V) in the SPDIF-output section of my transport (replacing an 7805 reg) and after listening to it for 3-weeks I concluded the improvements were not worse that reg, and replaced the 7805-reg.
I also have used the ALW 5v and -5V regs for the digital supply of the AD1865 DAC's, (replacing LM317/337 supply) and the improvements were disappointing. I want to try the Reg101-5 solution to see how that performs in that position.

The fact that, in the indicated places (in transport and DAC) the ALW-reg didn't result in significant improvements, indicates to me that other issues underlie that performance (and must be improved first). That conclusion is based on my assumption the ALW-reg is better in all aspects than the referred regulators.

Henk

Hide this!Advertise here!