Good 5V psu @ 200mA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Power Supply

This is nothing worth building. In several places I use left over cell phone chargers. Many phones, like some Samsung models, the charger is really a 5V 1000mA regulated switching power supply. People who have lost their phone or had their phone die on them give me their chargers so I get a good number of these. Put out the word at work or school you are collecting these for recycling.

Otherwise, get a 6V DC wall wart and connect it through a 7805 3 terminal regulator. Bolt it to some metal to dissipate the heat.

How about this one ? Will it satisfy the 200mA requirement ?

Attachments

• zeroalim1.jpg
    zeroalim1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 505
Roibm,
I have no experience with AN8005 (They are as far as I know only available via Digkey, and they have high initial order costs so ordering 10 pieces raises their costs to an unexceptable level).

I have reg101-5 planned for the analog supply of my CS8412 (which is now based on TL431 and oscon decoupling).

I have experience with the ALW-regs. They replace the LM317/337 based supply in the I/V and output stage in my DAC. The improvements were astonishing. Which indicated to me that the ALW-reg is much much better that the LM317/337 (not so strange because that is why it has been designed).

I am not experienced enough to tell you where (in which position) to use what type of 'power supply'.
I have used the ALW reg (5V) in the SPDIF-output section of my transport (replacing an 7805 reg) and after listening to it for 3-weeks I concluded the improvements were not worse that reg, and replaced the 7805-reg.
I also have used the ALW 5v and -5V regs for the digital supply of the AD1865 DAC's, (replacing LM317/337 supply) and the improvements were disappointing. I want to try the Reg101-5 solution to see how that performs in that position.

The fact that, in the indicated places (in transport and DAC) the ALW-reg didn't result in significant improvements, indicates to me that other issues underlie that performance (and must be improved first). That conclusion is based on my assumption the ALW-reg is better in all aspects than the referred regulators.

Henk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.