|Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|1st July 2002, 08:05 AM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2002
Disabling the noisy SAA7220 oversampling filter
If you're using that most venerable of DACS, the 16 bit TDA1541, it will probably be linked in some way to the SAA7220 4x oversampling filter that precedes it.
Up to now, I had been running my DAC in "zero-oversampling" mode, where the clock, word and data lines are fed directly to the DAC, without going to the SAA7220. This tweak gave DRAMATIC improvements in sound quality.
Having recently seen posts about how noisy the SAA7220 is on the power lines, I managed to switch it off entirely:
1. The SAA7210 (precedes the SAA7220) has on pin 19 a "clock in" and on pin 18, a "clock out".
2. Since I was using a new clock (by Guido Tent), I was able to very simply disconnect the clock in line from the SAA7220 (pin 21 I think) and feed it to pin 19 on the SAA7210.
3. Pin 19 of the SAA7210 was then connected to Pin 18 via a 100 Kohm resistor
4. Power to the SAA7220 was then disconnected and viola, we have no more SA7220 at all in the circuit.
5. Sound improvements appeared fairly subtle in my system ( I'm still listening though), but then I think that the filtering/shielding set-up is fairly comprehensive.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Oversampling filter design||nbdy||Digital Source||0||19th October 2006 08:51 PM|
|Saa7220 sparks from ground pin (killed a saa7220 ?)||ash_dac||Digital Source||26||26th March 2006 03:32 PM|
|Looking for Discontinued Philips Part Digital filter SAA7220 P/B||xorbitman||Parts||0||19th July 2005 07:09 PM|
|WTB SAA7220 Filter Chip||nelsonian||Swap Meet||2||26th July 2003 04:46 PM|
|SAA7220 digital filter chip||glewis4744||Digital Source||1||8th January 2003 10:20 PM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|