Reclocking for DENON DCD S-10? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2005, 11:25 AM   #11
m127 is offline m127  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The tray switch is OK. After closing the tray I can see the lens moving up and down trying to achieve focus and then it gives up, so either the pickup is faulty or something is not set correctly (like spindle platter height or so). Unfortunately I don't have an IR meter so I cannot tell if the diode produces the beam.

I tried to send you a mail but didn't manage (the server must be down). I'll try again.
m127
Old 12th March 2008, 05:23 AM   #12
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi Extreme_Boky, can you email to me the service manual of the Denon DCD-1650SR? Thanks a million
Old 12th March 2008, 08:08 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Ruach,

I have sent detailed circuit diagrams for digital and analog sections. Both are full resolution pdf diagrams with links.

If you really need the full Service Manual, I will have to upload it to ftp server and provide you the link to download, the size of the whole manual is 15MB. Let me know if you need the whole manual...

Regards,
Nick
Old 13th March 2008, 10:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I will keep the full Service Manual on the ftp server for a week or so..

http://files.schneider-electric.com....rol/1650SR.zip

Boky
Old 14th March 2008, 01:09 AM   #15
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Thanks a million Boky
Old 9th February 2009, 05:33 AM   #16
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey boky and guys
I just bought a 1650AR and waqs searching for docs. Tried the ftp link and waddya know - it still works!
thanks a million

jess
Old 10th February 2009, 06:42 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey Boky...

I had a good look at the manual for the 1650SR that you posted above - -and thank you very much for it

I actually have the 1650AR, which has a different output stage - it has both fixed and variable outputs. Do you know how much difference there may be in the final stages of these two models?

Also, what is with the clutter of op-amp stages between the DACs and the jacks? I have never see so many op-amps - almost looks like it was designed for balanced output (4 DAC chips), then they changed their mind and summed it together into single-ended.

Any help greatly appreciated

Jess
Old 11th February 2009, 06:35 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

No worries JesseG....

Your model may be 20 bit version with 1702. It may also have single DAC chip per channel - hence the simplified analog output stage.

The 1650SR is 24 bit version with dual differential DAC's (1704) and analog stage compensated in time domain. It is wonderful machine but extensively modified. My NOS 1541 (point-to-point wried !) and Audiomeca Mephisto transport were used as a reference. The sound I'm getting from this DENON is very close, in some respects even better compared to the above combo.

The first IC is AD8066 (fantastic detail retrieval and speed, needs to be properly implemented to perform at its best as I/V - it shines!!!).
Second differential to single end stage is with LM4562 (AD826 works well - personal choice....)
Third is AD826 - the faster the better at this particular point), the last one is OP275 "bridged" (I don't use headphones' buffer, so both half's are bridged and used as a single buffer to drive interconnects / amplifier.

The above configuration actually gives amazing results. It works very well even with unpredicted interconnect loads / pre-amps and / or amps; important when I go to do demos...

The PCB ground layer was optimized for very low noise - segregated between microprocessor ground (the noisiest by huge margin - it should not really share the same ground with DAC's and upsempler!!!), DAC ground and upsempler ground. This optimization should be the first step if you are serious about modifying digital equipment This step brings the biggest benefits. It should be followed by everything else...

Good luck with your Denon mods

Boky
Old 11th February 2009, 05:55 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Boky

Thanks for answering

The 1650AR has 4 1702s, I guess 2 per chanel.
As I said, I guess that it might be possible to get full balanced out with some work.

I would really like to get a manual for this exact machine. There are lots of similarities to the SR version, but some differences too.

I was thinking about a balanced tube O/P stage - there is lots of room. But, it works so well now that I am tempted to not mess with it. It has the most articulate bass of any CDP I have tried.

I think I will live with it for a few weeks and then decide whether to hack the O/P stages or not.

Are there any mechanical tweeks that you can recommend?

Jess
Old 11th February 2009, 09:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi JesseG,

The only material worth considering is acrylic. It has to be very dense, usually black in colour. Something similar can be found in old marshalling cabinets / cubicles, but the ideal material would be even denser and much softer. The whole mechanism should be encapsulated in a large block of this material.

I learned this by experimenting, but also from various transports I've seen and modified. It sounds best by unbelievable margin and is absolute must if you aim for the ultimate result.

Metal plates sound cold, sterile and lifeless.

Nothing much you can do with commercial players. My Denon resides on 3 spikes and large block of this material, which brings nice and natural texture to the sound.

If you want to know how it should be done for ultimate sound reproduction, check Audiomeca and their range of transports / players (I don’t think they are in business any more, but you should be able to find the white papers…)

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/audiomeca.htm

Boky

Hide this!Advertise here!