high quality DAC searched

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ralf,

What do you mean with "DIY-DAC"? Do you want to build the housing at least as DIYand want to buy ready DAC electronics modules? If so I can recomment you http://www.dse-heyink.de/ (sorry guys, just in German…). I think price versus performance of this modules is maximum. As worst case compare it to Hoerwege http://www.hoer-wege.de/da_wandler.htm. The few better parts with Hoerwege can not explain these prices…

The nice thing with Mr. Heyink: he is flexibe. I bought my DAC-board e.g. w/o any I/V or output stage parts and w/o any electrolytic cap. Other guys send better parts to Heyink and he right on build up the board with them. If you need detailed information just give me a mail…

The best thing about the Heyink DAC is the DSP-I/O board with DSP-based four times upsampling and super soft roll off filter. My DAC has four filter characteristics switchable (even one almost w/o filtering), but this one and only filter is a dream. It was developed within a diploma work of an university student with the right background. Also it was optimized in long listening sessions. The result is the best filter I know, filtering at ca. 300kHz. W/o filtering sounds a bit intransparent and sharp. The DSP intelligence also offer controll functions, like optional remote control, display, invert-switch, I/O-switching, filtering...

Mr. Heyink is a consequent engineer (working as technical equipment director at an radio broadcasting station). So the DAC board uses 6 parallel voltage supply regulators, I/V+output stage is as simple as possible (two OPAs, passive filtering 1st order), XLR outputs (to use the benefit of symmetrical Pass devices!), SMD transformers for all digital I/Os, complete decoupling of all stages by optical transmitters, PCM1704…And his approach towards self developed DSP-filtering was his unlike about the sound of the standard DF-devices. All modules are plug&play, the wiring harnesses are part of a set. So everybody can build a semi-DIY-DAC for less than 1000€. The sound with tweaked parts is one of the best I know…

Outlook: in my DAC I "just" solderd a two PCM1704 stack tower and went for full symmetrical. These four PCM1704 source a modified D1 stage with CCS (like shown here month before). Added by a a little bit oversized Pass-like-simple PSU gives a sound I have not hearded before. This soft roll off filter plus the simple D1 stage w/o any feedback makes music allive!!!!

Regards

Klaus

This looks like a great DIY module for me, but unfortunately I can't read German at all. Could anybody answer my questions on these modules?

1. Is there DSD1792 DAC module available from this company?

2. Does DSD1792 or PCM1704 module have balanced output? Or can stereo module be configured into dual-differential mono?

3. PCM1704 module seems to have CS3310-based volume control. Am I right?

4. How much are they?

5. Are both boards(if DSD1792 board available) able to get I2S input? I guess DSD1792 should be able to get I2S/DSD input.

6. Is there easy method to control the volume of the module? Or just SPI/I2C control?

Thank you.

This looks like a great DIY module for me, but unfortunately I can't read German at all. Could anybody answer my questions on these modules?

2. Does DSD1792 or PCM1704 module have balanced output? Or can stereo module be configured into dual-differential mono?

4. How much are they?

5. Are both boards(if DSD1792 board available) able to get I2S input? I guess DSD1792 should be able to get I2S/DSD input.

6. Is there easy method to control the volume of the module? Or just SPI/I2C control?

Thank you.

--- no. Mr. Heyink currently did not go for new DACs at DIY offers. I do not know his plans for the future.

--- PCM1704 has no balanced output. It needs two of them for balanced. By SW Mr. Heyink can configurate this set up to many DAC boards. So four DACs, active crossover functions by DSP and so on is feasible. But then it becomes expensive… The other way is like he did it: I/V stage, passive filtering and two buffer OPAs to create inverted signal + normal signal for XLR out. Or, like I did it: stack two PCM1704 – but hardcore soldering…

--- I have forgotten to comment: the DAC board is prepared (between I/V and buffer) for everything, poti, R-ladder, vol contol ICs controlled by the DSP with remote control. To be defined with Mr. Heyink at inquiries.

4. How much are they?
--- prices are given in basis version. So w/o any vol set IC.

5. Are both boards (if DSD1792 board available) able to get I2S input? I guess DSD1792 should be able to get I2S/DSD input.
--- sorry, I am no expert. I do not know which format is transmitted from DSP to DAC board.

--- sorry, no plan…

Regards

Klaus

Klaus,

Thank you very much for your kind information. I'd like to hear a good news of PC1792(or 1794 for easier DIY) module availability. Even though I had been an absolute stubborn supporter of R-2R DACs, I now tries to think more reasonably, with numbers, especially after I auditioned dCS Elgar, using the first DWA'ed multi-bit delta-sigma DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.