DAC interface: OXUF922 (firewire 800 & USB 2.0)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DAC interface: OXUF922 (firewire 800 & USB 2.0)

This is where I found about it: http://www.1394ta.org/Press/2003Press/january/White_paper.pdf, especially pages 4-5.

OXUF922 has both 1394b and USB interface. The serial audio interface is detailed on page 55. They avoid the magic word i2s, (licensing issues?) but the interface seems identical. Also, one can configure the receiver (i.e. DAC) to be the master clock, so it should be ideal for non-oversampling DACs...

Furthermore, the chip has ATA100 interface, and can also used for 1394b ATA hard drive enclosures! I smell mass production here. Right now the price of firewire 800 stuff is quite high. It should come down in price when market share increases.

I have wet dreams of modding my next external HDD enclosure with a DAC... :clown: Joke aside, please comment whether this seems a good DYI idea or not.

I posted the same message on head-fi dyi, but it seems that forum is not hardcore enough to elicit any responses :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.