AR CD-4 mods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just picked up an Acoustic Research CD-4 for next to nothing (it has a display problem, but that should be easy to sort).
The sound is very laid back, warm and vinyl-like, with just a bit of harshness/coarseness in the upper mid and top.
The build seems quite decent.
Has anyone sucessfully tweaked one of these players?
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks,
Dave.

Hi

I've just bought an AR CD-04 on eBay - waiting for it to arrive.

Found the following description - seems interesting, especially if it is well build:

When AR introduced the "Black Line" in the mid 80's it had one CD player in the lineup in the form of the CD-04, it featured the Philips 14bit 4x oversampling converters rather than a 16 bit one since the engineers at the company thought they sounded better than the 16 bit ones available at the time (and they were probably right, but this was an unusual design choice). The unit also had a separate converter for each channel but at the time many of the designs out there (in particular the 14bit models) multiplexed the converter leading to a tiny phase error, otherwise the CD-04 was pretty much run of the mill and was at it's best used in conjunction with other AR Black line components since it had a remote control link. Introduced the CD-06 in late 1988, it was made at their UK plant and featured the then new 4x 16bit oversampling hardware from Philips, interestingly the unit had a remote control of output level so it could be used to drive a power amp directly, fit and finish was also considerably better than with previous CD players from the company.

So - it has CDM2 and 2 x TDA1540. Did you do anything to yours yet?

Regards
Fin

I just picked up a used AR CD 06 in clean and nice condition. It was advertised as Audiophile Quality and I was immediately impressed with the sound as soon as I played it. Warm, and rich with very good sound stage. This particular unit was manufactured in March 1991 and it has not misread a cd yet; even at high volumes with lots of bass shaking. I pulled the cover and revealed a cdm2/10 transport, quite solid, and one TDA 1541 A chip. The unit plays hot (literally) and is a 16 bit with 4x oversampling. The only drawbacks I have found are small, unlit function buttons and a small display. Very happy with the player.

Hi Woofer

This is a picture of my AR CD 04. Does your CD 06 look similar?
Any chance of a picture?

Attachments

• fb_12_sb.jpg
    fb_12_sb.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 263
Acoustic Research Cd 06

The CD 06 is similar to the CD 04 with some different internal parts and
more function buttons. In fact, from pictures I have seen it looks like all the AR Black Line components shared the same chassis. There is a nice article about the 1540 and 1541 chip on lampizator.eu. Sometimes the vintage components really sound better. If I ever pull the cover again I will be sure to post a photo of the internals. Wooffer

Acoustic Research Cd 06

The CD 06 is similar to the CD 04 with some different internal parts and
more function buttons. In fact, from pictures I have seen it looks like all the AR Black Line components shared the same chassis. There is a nice article about the 1540 and 1541 chip on lampizator.eu. Sometimes the vintage components really do sound better. If I ever pull the cover again I will be sure to post a photo of the internals. Wooffer

Attachments

• cd06.gif
    cd06.gif
    49.1 KB · Views: 169
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.