Linkwitz transform circuit in BruteFIR ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2004, 06:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Linkwitz transform circuit in BruteFIR ?

Hi all,

I know it must be possible to do a linkwitz transform (http://sound.westhost.com/project71.htm) in BruteFIR, but I'm not sure exactly how. For the time being I would like to do linkwitz transform on my sub and my rear channels in my HT setup, (I am not bothered by the loss of dynamic range which will result from applying the boost), though eventually I would like to do Xovers for my front 2-way speakers in BruteFIR too.

The problem is that I have installed BruteFIR/Jack/alsa etc and have no problem with using the DRC package to make a measured room coefficient, but have no clue how to model the linkwitz transform (or xovers) and how I would cascade these coefficients, or how how I would combine them.

Can anyone give any pointers?

Many thanks,

Chris

ps. this seems useful; http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/mkfilter/ but what do I do with its output?
Old 14th October 2004, 04:55 AM   #2
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you got Matlab (windows) or Octave (linux)?

Youll need one of these to produce the filter coeffs youll need.
Old 14th October 2004, 05:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You can use bilinear transform function in matlab and octave to convert the s-plane eq filter (http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm#9) to z-plane, but the resulting filter is IIR.
Old 14th October 2004, 07:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Having just had a look at Octave, and not having a windows machine (or a copy of Matlab) I think this might be all a bit too much for me!

What would happen if I connected the sub to a three-way xover with my front speakers, with no eq, and then recorded a sweep for use with DRC? Would DRC be able to correct the unequalised sub? (my linkwitz transform calculations show I will need a max boost of 12.25dB)

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!