PSX clock for CD Player use - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2004, 09:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PSX clock for CD Player use

Hi there,

I am dealing with both, CD player mods and playstation tuning. So recently I had the idea to combine both worlds, i.e. to use the PSX 67.737MHz oscillator as part of a clock generator for my pioneer CD player. The nice thing about the PSX clock is that it has four times the frequency of my CD player (16.9344MHz). Now by dividing the PSX clock by four using two toggle flipflops of ACT type I could get a decent clock for my CD.

My plan is the following: Desolder the oscillator from the PSX, add a 74ACT74 and some means for supplying these and try with my pioneer CD. Intention is to make the circuit as small as possible with very short interconnections using SMD components. Remember we are dealing with very high frequencies.
First measurements on the oscillator are encouraging: Frequency accuracy is fine, 1ppm!!!
The manufacturer of the PSX oscillator is KDS.

Anyone tried this? Please comment. IŽLL keep you updated.

p.s.: Did I discover the source of the "PSX sound"?
Old 25th October 2004, 08:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi gents,

now I have the first prototype running. Attached you can see a pic of it.
It measures very well: Inital accuracy: 16.934375MHz which is approx. 2.5ppm. Rise and fall times are around 2ns. Please see also the two attached scope pics. Please note the special arrangement for attaching the scope probes in order to get accurated results.
The supply delivers 3.3V for the PSX oscillator and 5.0V for the 74ACT74 gates. It is based on a TL431 circuit with NPN transistor.
So far I did not test the impact on the sound. Later I intend to use it in my Pioneer PD-S802 and test the sound against a KC7 clock and one of my own creations.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tek00009.gif (16.3 KB, 383 views)
Old 25th October 2004, 08:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

More pics:
Attached Images
File Type: gif pa220011-b.gif (80.7 KB, 390 views)
Old 25th October 2004, 08:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

And a last the 67MHz oscillator signal before and after the 47R coupling resistor:
Attached Images
File Type: gif tek00007.gif (17.9 KB, 341 views)
Old 9th November 2005, 05:04 AM   #5
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default pozo, how does it sound?

er how does it sound. I don't know the jitter of the 802 or 54 . I have a PD-54 which is essentially a 802 ..
Old 9th November 2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
use some modern logic family ACT yeck...
Old 10th November 2005, 02:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Nanook,

first of all: Each of the clock circuits I have tried in place of the original one were better than it. The most important thing is to omit the HCMOS IC that is distributing the clock signal among the DACs and the decoder chip. The clock is able to drive them without effort. Done that its difficult for me to hear a significant difference between the tested clock circuits. My intention about the PSX clock was to see how far you can go in terms of technical optimisation and what I can personally hear.
So after all its a matter of taste.....

Hide this!Advertise here!