Xbox optical to Super DAC 2496?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, guys!
First time here for me, and I'm pretty new to the entire hi-fi thingy, so please excuse my lack of knowledge (though I am happy for any tips and further knowledge).

My setup today looks like this:

CD-player: Denon DN-650F
Amplifier: Perception Audio Sansaar
DVD-player, gaming console: Microsoft Xbox

The CD-player is connected via balanced cables to the amp.
The Xbox is connected via analouge RCA.

I recently aquired a M-Audio Super DAC 2496 that I was thinking to use as following:

CD-player via coaxial SPDIF to the Super DAC.
Xbox via optical cable to the Super DAC.
Super DAC to the amp via balanced cables.

The CD-player works great, and the sound is wonderful!

But the xbox-signal is completely ignored: the "Valid Data" LED on the DAC does not light up, and no sound is heard. I tried connecting it to my minidisc player instead of the DAC and it works fine. I get the signal in stereo and it works.

I inquired the official Xbox support (I thought that perhaps it was a bitrate issue) where they gave the answer that they have no information regarding any technical specifications on the console, and that "as long as there is signal in both ends of the cable it should work fine". My reaction to this was the very fine abbreviation "WTF?" :confused:

So hence I turn to you guys. Please help me!

wytco0 said:
I dont know much about this but is that DAC capable of decoding DVD data?

Pardon for not saying it earlier, but the Video data is going through a scart-cable with an adapter on it that separate the Audio to the optical cable.

Thus, only audio is signalled through the optical TosLink. The video/DVD-data goes through a separate scart.

Originally posted by Whistler
<snip>
But the xbox-signal is completely ignored: the "Valid Data" LED on the DAC does not light up, and no sound is heard.
<snip>

Seems like the Xbox is sending compressed digital data i.e. AC3/DTS to the dac. The PS2 has an option in the on-screen menu for selecting between linear PCM and AC3/DTS data. If the Xbox has something similar, check that PCM data is selected.

Re: Re: Xbox optical to Super DAC 2496?

rfbrw said:

Seems like the Xbox is sending compressed digital data i.e. AC3/DTS to the dac. The PS2 has an option in the on-screen menu for selecting between linear PCM and AC3/DTS data. If the Xbox has something similar, check that PCM data is selected.

Thank you for your reply.

But how can the MiniDisc player play the signal if it is compressed?

Whistler said:

Thank you for your reply.

But how can the MiniDisc player play the signal if it is compressed?

That would suggest the data is not compressed. Are you using the Xbox specific connector or the Toslink output? Perhaps it is possible to select the type of data sent to either output.

Mikael Abdellah said:
Is there an easy way to analyze the digital data that the optical out transmitts?

Other than connecting it to a player of some kind you would need to either get something a Prismsound DSA1 AES tester or build something around one the newer IEC61937 compliant DAIRs as they are capable of detecting compressed data and signalling its presence without reference to the non-audio data flag. The flags in IEC60958 (aes/spdif) and IEC61937 (ac3/dts/mpeg) datastreams are not always reliable.

If you use Xbmc -xboxmediacenter- u can select what kind of output you want from your xbox. It can play dvd`s cd`s and everything else you throw in it, from .mov files to avi.

Your xbox cannot run Xbmc if its not modded though. If you want more info on modding give me an E-mail.

wazzup said:
If you use Xbmc -xboxmediacenter- u can select what kind of output you want from your xbox. It can play dvd`s cd`s and everything else you throw in it, from .mov files to avi.

Your xbox cannot run Xbmc if its not modded though. If you want more info on modding give me an E-mail.

I am currently using Xbox Media Player, but perhaps I'll try what you said.

My Xbox is already modded, but I fail to see what that has to do with the digital audio not working through my DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.