How to: fix a CDM9 based player that makes a "tchik, tchik, tchik" noise when playing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How to: fix a CDM9 based player that makes a "tchik, tchik, tchik" noise when playing

Hi all,

The title is long, but the fix is simple (but also long :()
Nearly one year ago, I purchased a Philips CD940 player on ebay. The price wasn't too bad, and the player was in good condition (only refuses to play CDRWs)

When the player arrived, you all know what I first did...

plugged the AC socket in, put a CD in it and pushed play.

and here, bad surprise! when the CD was spinning, a 'tchik, tchik, tchik" noise was coming from the mechanism. Most likely the CD (or any other rotating part) was touching another part one per rotation.

after contacting the seller, he wasn't aware of the problem, that may be due to the shipping.

It took me several months to find the time (and the will) to fix this.
One day, I knew it was the day, and took my screwdriver :) (make sure to have a good one, this player has tons of screws)

Fisrt, I needed to open the player, nearly 10 torx screws on the U shaped cover.
Then, unscrew the main PCB (half a dozen screws)
Open the tray (it's easier to make this as step one :D)
Unclip (you must lift it) the tray's end (the plastic cover with philips written on it)
Remove the pcb+cdm
Under the pcb, you have the screws that tighten the cdm to the pcb, remove them

Now tou have the pcb and some plastic around it
Remove the CDM and it's suspension from the plastic (be sure to also remove all cables)

When you have the mechanism (like the one on the picture), simply use a knife to lift (by some tenths of a millimeter) the CD plate.

That's it, now you can rebuild everything:cool:
Yes, 10 seconds fixing, one hour unbuilding and rebuilding....

I hope this can help someone else.

I'd like to thank Elso Kwak, Jean-Paul and Mr Feedback (I'd be glad so see you back here, Eric ;)) for having helped me!

Attachments

• cdm9.jpg
    cdm9.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 152
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.