Acoustic Reality Ear 2 Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2002, 04:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic Reality Ear 2 Amp

just received the AV Reality Ear 2 stereo digital amp. I hooked the cables up, turned my system on, sat back and could not believe my ears. This new, so-called ground breaking amp was breathing new life into my 13 year old Monitor Audio speakers. The sound coming out of my speakers was breathtakingly great. The sound was fluid and yet very precise at the same time. The amp has no digital or dry type of sound so commonly afforded to digital amplifiers. It is fluid , precise , dynamic and very three dimensional sounding simultaneously. In fact it seems that when the volume is turned up the 3d effect increases. Sounds were coming from some place beyond the walls of my room. It was mind boggling. I have auditioned analogue amps i.e. the Stratos Amplifier by Odyssey and a digital amplifier by P.S. Audio(HCA-2) among other amps, and the Ear 2 amplifier blows these other amplifiers out of the solar system. There is absolutely no real comparison, that is how great this amp sounds. After listening to the the amp a few hours Peter Thomson gave me a call all the way from Denmark to find out what my impressions were of his product. He is a very professional and personable guy and seemed very pleased that I liked the amp. He told me that after 100 hours of use the amp will have a completely different signiture and sound a lot better. I told him it sounded great right out of the box but if it sounds better after several hours than it is just more icing(no pun intended) on the cake.If AV Realityís speakers are anywhere close to the great sound of this amp I will definetly consider purchasing a pair. This amplifier should be priced much higher than it is. Anyone who is into high end audio components must audition this amp otherwise they will be missing something earthshaking in the audio world.
Old 27th July 2002, 03:20 PM   #2
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi,

how strange , your impression of the icepower modules are very far away from others i have seen and heard.

we compared the modules at work and we were a lot less impressed that you seem to be.

the designer of the modules agreed (we invited him to a test) that 2 other amps we had for comparison was better to some extent that the icepower amps.

was it $8000 you paid??

best regards - k madsen - cadaudio.dk

ps. why do i get the feeling that most if not all the praise on av reality site is written in very much the same "tone" ?
Old 27th July 2002, 08:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Ear 2

The only person I know who has modified the Ice Power Amp for stereo use is Peter Thomsen in Denmark. The Ear-2 is the giant killer of amps. It is truly a reference amplifier that blows away famous maker amps like Mark Levenson.
Old 31st July 2002, 04:49 AM   #4
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

opinions diifer i guess

we did not compare it to a mark levinson but i think its fair to say that they are not reference amps or "the best" amps for lots of people i know.

actually our impression was that the icepower boards (thats what i have heard and can refer to, i havent heard the actual ear 2 amp) was more dull and more like a ml amps than any of the others.....

what modifications did mr . thomsen make to the icepower modules (if any)??

i asked the designer of the boards same question and to his best knowledge the answer is none at all.

best regards - k madsen - cadaudio.dk
Old 31st July 2002, 05:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default EAR 2 amp

Hi

The modification that Peter Thomsen made is something he cannot talk about otherwise other people would copy his design. He told me that the modification he made makes all the difference in the sound of the amplifier. It is a very vital modification that truly changes the sound of the ice power circuit. Call him up and talk to him. Definetly audition the Ear 2 you will not regret it.

Howard(harmon)
Old 1st August 2002, 08:34 AM   #6
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

in his mails to me he was very hostile and telling lies that were very obvious.

i hope you dont mind i make my own conclusion about whether he did actually make modifications to these modules or not , i do happen to know them i details and i have a couple of them here.

on top of that i talked to the designer of the boards and we seem to share the same opinion in this matter.

best regards - k madsen - cad audio dk

ps. i wonder why you still dont answer what you paid for it?
Old 1st August 2002, 11:18 AM   #7
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by km
hi.
ps. i wonder why you still dont answer what you paid for it?
Sorry for interrupting your conversation.
I am not the person for whom your original question was pointed and I havenít bought Ear-2 either (or any other module of that matter) but in spite of that, let me ask you:
I wonder why you still donít want to sell your amps to me?

Argo
Old 1st August 2002, 01:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Response to KM

Hi

I payed $2,900 for it and well worth every penny. I think of it as a high end amplifier worth $29,000. and got it for $2,900. It will be reviewed very soon by two well known internet audio reviewers. Peter is selling the amp to Danish distributors and they will sell it for many times the price of $2,900. When the reviews come out and more people find out about the amplifier(mainly in Denmark and Europe) , you will realize that this is truly a gem of amps, cabable of not only competing against other high end amps but trouncing them
Old 1st August 2002, 02:06 PM   #9
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

i realize there are no reviews (apart from those made by p. thomsen himself) , i suggest that we comment on real reviews where they are published.

$2900 , if thats cheap or not could be a matter of opinion i guess , i think its common knowledge that the amp modules sell for $40 each in samples , 2 of these + a power supply and a case, well.....

about modifications i can only say that i know the icepower guys worked a couple of years to get good specs and it doesnt make much sense that a guy with little (next to no) knowledge about electronics and class-d amplifiers can improve it dramatically "overnight".

like i said in my mail to you my best guess is that he changed a couple of capacitors (if anything) the overall circuitry , the ics and such i have strong doubts are changed a tiny bit. (prove me wrong by all means)

but you like it and think its worth the money , good for you.

regards - k madsen - cadaudio.dk

ps. argo , i dont really see what your question has to do here , i think you have my email adress.

i dont recall having said i dont want to sell amps to you
Old 1st August 2002, 04:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Ear 2

Response to KM

Peter has built into the amp a highly undistorted super clean proprietary power supply and he uses special filters for the output. With these two modifications and possibly others the amp rises easily to high end status. Find out for yourself and purchase one or at least try to audition the Ear 2 . Nothing like first hand experience rather than conjecturing.

Hide this!Advertise here!