Passive I/V Solutions Database?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems like a lot of people out there are cooking up passive I/V solutions, but we don't have a central place to send in our experiences and what the final configuration was.
Wouldnt it be great if we could just look up the tried and tested solutions instead of reinventing the wheel all the time and asking the same questions?
At least it would be a good starting point.

Things like CD Player model, DAC type, configuration (parallel/diff/..), resistor value, resistor type(Vishay Draloric/Dale/Caddock/...), Transformer data (make/ratio/part nr/...), Interconnect type (balanced/SE/ Length...),Preamp/amp input impedance, and not least how it sounds!

Any interest? How can we do this???

How about active I/V's too?

Since we are wishing, it would be nice to have a central repository for schematics, measurements and design objectives-limitations for discrete I/V topologies for both balanced current output DACs and single ended voltage and current output DACS.

Perhaps, dare I say, even some monolithic IC based I/V designs for beginers and those with less ambition and even some x-former coupled designs for the freaks (maybe even with tooobs for the humourless reactionaries).

A page on the WIKI is a natural suggestion for such a project. Gentlemen, shall we begin?

GerryM said:
Seems like a lot of people out there are cooking up passive I/V solutions, but we don't have a central place to send in our experiences and what the final configuration was.
Wouldnt it be great if we could just look up the tried and tested solutions instead of reinventing the wheel all the time and asking the same questions?
At least it would be a good starting point.

Things like CD Player model, DAC type, configuration (parallel/diff/..), resistor value, resistor type(Vishay Draloric/Dale/Caddock/...), Transformer data (make/ratio/part nr/...), Interconnect type (balanced/SE/ Length...),Preamp/amp input impedance, and not least how it sounds!

Any interest? How can we do this???

You can't. There are simply too many combinations.

This is a challenge, not a problem and it is not impossible.

If we broke it down starting with the DAC chip type and then sub-categories, I don't think it would be too much...
Or maybe starting categories such as I/V out 1-2 mA, 2-4mA.. Vout xV - yV and so on...
I see the same questions over and over and over again..

I want to see a bunch of implemented solutions I can look at and evaluate, in an organised manner, not the mish-mash of half-info and 'in' debates from a few insiders that you find on audioasylum and this forum.

This is not rocket science if we just come up with the right set of categories and sub categories...

A 'ready reckoner' might be an over simplification, but seeing what others had implemented and were happy with is at least a good starting point for those of us who do not have the time, money, or knowlege, to try all sorts of solutions.
For example the test I did of my 1702 output vs I/V resistor load would be useful to others.

By the way has anyone tried this transformer:

http://www.edcorusa.com/sound/ttpc/TTPC101.htm

Its a tenth of the price of Sowters / Lundahls / Jensens but at least it will be good to test out a passive solution without too much outlay and I bet that its at least 80% as good as the aforementioned. (Don't tell me the fancy Swiss coil winding machines Jensen claim to use are not widely used by others...)

The seemingly numerous methods of passive i/v conversion, be it by resistor, transformer or both are basically variations on a theme and you would be better served putting in the effort to understand theme in order to better evaluate the variations.
If, on the other hand, you feel you can shortcut this effort and compile a listing that allows you pick a solution tailored to the sound you want, a passive i/v a la carte menu so to speak, don't let me put you off.

GerryM said:
I guess I'll leave this forum to you gurus then

Thats the way to do it, you go off and sulk in the corner.
An aspect of DIY is actually doing something. If you want a database then create it. Start the ball rolling and the providers of half info may or may not provide the other half and the insiders may or may not let you in but it is highly unlikely that anyone will hand you what you want on a plate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.