Skipping cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a skipping problem with my Sony 350 cd player. Any volume level, even brand new cds. Although it's a few years old, it really has not seen much use, maybe only 30 hours or so. Is it possible it needs to be cleaned already? I thought it might be vibration so I put thick foam pads under it but that didn't help. Skips like a beaten up LP.
Any ideas?

Get a can of compressed air from a photographic shop (they are filtered to the sub-micron level), open your CD player and blow-clean the lens and associated laser components.

If that doesn't help, you need to take it to a shop :(

Oh, and UNPLUG the unit before opening it ;)

Geek said:
Problem with that is any physical contact with a precision ground lens, can scratch it :eek:
Geek,
I appreciate your concern and certainly will not start an endless discussion here but it's part of my daily job to clean lenses.
Indeed, the biggest dust can be removed with a spray can but grease, nicotine and other remains from years need mechanical cleaning. Believe me, those lenses can take a gentle cotton stick.
Don't use anything else than distilled water though. Certainly no alcohol.
Thinking of it, I even would avoid using spray cans. When used too close to the lens the strong airflow could perhaps harm the suspension.

/Hugo :)

I use those compressed air cans on photographic equipment and I don't advice it's use at all.
If you don't use it at a straight angle the gas comes out leaving that thing a mess.:eek:
I use the same method as Hugo, although if you don't have distilled water you can use... salive.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.