diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Skipping cd player (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/41819-skipping-cd-player.html)

Brushpilot 30th September 2004 01:00 PM

Skipping cd player

I have a skipping problem with my Sony 350 cd player. Any volume level, even brand new cds. Although it's a few years old, it really has not seen much use, maybe only 30 hours or so. Is it possible it needs to be cleaned already? I thought it might be vibration so I put thick foam pads under it but that didn't help. Skips like a beaten up LP.
Any ideas?

Geek 30th September 2004 01:14 PM

Get a can of compressed air from a photographic shop (they are filtered to the sub-micron level), open your CD player and blow-clean the lens and associated laser components.

If that doesn't help, you need to take it to a shop :(

Oh, and UNPLUG the unit before opening it ;)

Netlist 30th September 2004 01:18 PM

Re: Skipping cd player

Quote:

Originally posted by Brushpilot
Is it possible it needs to be cleaned already?
Doing so won't harm.
Couldn't find '350' in the Sony model numbers database.
Some other letters are missing ;)

/Hugo

Netlist 30th September 2004 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Get a can of compressed air
I like that one, it would have the same effect as cleaning your glasses with compressed air. ;)
Better open it and use a cotton stick and a bit of distilled water.

/Hugo

Geek 30th September 2004 02:02 PM

Problem with that is any physical contact with a precision ground lens, can scratch it :eek:

Netlist 30th September 2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Problem with that is any physical contact with a precision ground lens, can scratch it :eek:
Geek,
I appreciate your concern and certainly will not start an endless discussion here but it's part of my daily job to clean lenses.
Indeed, the biggest dust can be removed with a spray can but grease, nicotine and other remains from years need mechanical cleaning. Believe me, those lenses can take a gentle cotton stick.
Don't use anything else than distilled water though. Certainly no alcohol.
Thinking of it, I even would avoid using spray cans. When used too close to the lens the strong airflow could perhaps harm the suspension.

/Hugo :)

carlosfm 30th September 2004 04:20 PM

I use those compressed air cans on photographic equipment and I don't advice it's use at all.
If you don't use it at a straight angle the gas comes out leaving that thing a mess.:eek:
I use the same method as Hugo, although if you don't have distilled water you can use... salive.:D

Brushpilot 30th September 2004 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Skipping cd player

Quote:

Originally posted by Netlist

Doing so won't harm.
Couldn't find '350' in the Sony model numbers database.
Some other letters are missing ;)

/Hugo

Hugo,
The complete number is CDP-350. I'll give the distilled water a try and let you know how it works. Thanks.

Brushpilot 2nd October 2004 04:27 AM

Cleaning with the distilled water worked great. It works perfectly now. Thanks again.