Pic16f84

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hy all
I'm just starting to learn something about microcontrollers.I need some help from you regarding a PIC 18f84.I don't have a professonal programmer , but i wanted to ask you if you have some equivalent skematic that can make the same thing. I want to know also how do i copy the hex file from the PC into the MCU's memory
All the best , and thanks for your help.:smash:

Make or buy?

If you go to the Microchip seminars (I assume that they have them in Belgium or Holland) they give you a PIC-Start programmer for free -- you can download the most recent version of MPLAB from their website.

I use the MELABS serial programmer and the PIC-Basic Pro compiler -- it really saves time. There is a lower end version of PicBasic which sells for $49. I would also suggest that you listen along on the PIC-LIST -- access to which can be found on the MELABS website.

Programmers can also be built pretty inexpensively -- I am sure that your local library has back issues of Elektor -- they seem to have an article on building a programmer for the PIC's or AVR's every few months.

There's so much on the pic micro you will never read it all. I bought a programmer because cheap ones that use the parallel port cann't be used in Windows XP (well I couldn't get it to work, even with "Allow IO").

I got the serial/usb one, here that works very well with Microchip's MPlab.
There are so many out there, this is another. I bought his book "programming and customising...." but this stuff gets in the way of my audio projects.:D I intend to update my remote control with a PIC one day though.:)

Hi audiopt
The link doesn't work for me. Is it just me? maybe I'm jinxed.:xeye:

I built the TK3 programmer from epe magazine, and there are leds, display, switches etc. to make it more useful than a straight programmer, but I couldn't get it to work in XP, even with the "allow IO" software fix. It uses the parallel port, so that link could be useful to me.
Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.